Sept 25 Canada's main stock index looked set to
open lower on Wednesday as investor sentiment was pulled lower
by a potential government shutdown in Washington at the end of
the month coupled with uncertainty about the Federal Reserve's
* German consumer confidence rose to its highest level in
six years heading into October, supporting expectations that
strong consumer spending will help Europe's largest economy
report oderate growth in 2013.
* The world's biggest banks would need to boost their
capital by 115 billion euros to comply with tougher rules and
more than 60 percent of that shortfall is in Europe, where
lenders have been slower to strengthen.
* Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding Ltd has
decided to pursue an initial public offering in New York after
talks broke down over a Hong Kong listing, sources familiar with
the discussions said.
* A tentative deal to take BlackBerry Ltd private
will not necessarily resolve challenges that pushed the
smartphone maker into a corner in the first place, but it gives
the struggling company some breathing room.
* Canada stock futures traded down 0.18 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were mixed
around -0.18 percent to 0.02 percent
* European shares, were down
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 286.8052;
rose 0.38 percent
* Gold futures : $1,316; was unchanged 0 percent
* US crude : $103.73; rose 0.58 percent
* Brent crude : $109.68; rose 0.96 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,187; rose 0.56 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* BlackBerry Ltd : Top company executives sold small
blocks of its stock on the day that the smartphone maker warned
of a huge quarterly operating loss and massive job cuts,
according to Canadian regulatory filings.
* Canadian Natural Resources Ltd : The independent
oil producer has been ordered to drain a lake on the site of its
northern Alberta oil sands project so that contamination on the
lake's bottom, from a leak that has been spilling tar-like
bitumen for months, can be cleaned up.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* Merus Labs International Inc : Canaccord Genuity
raises price target to C$3.25 from C$2.70 after the company
announced the completion of its debt refinancing
* Trican Well Service Ltd : Raymond James cuts
rating to market perform from outperform, says AECO gas price is
* Trinidad Drilling Ltd : Raymond James cuts rating
to outperform from strong buy as a function of share performance
* Whitecap Resources Inc : National Bank Financial
raises price target to C$15 from C$14, says the company is
bridging the gap to larger cap veterans, stacks up with the
industry-leading yield players
ON THE CALENDAR
* No major Canadian economic data scheduled for the day
* Major U.S. events and data includes durable goods and new
home sales data