Nov 18 Canada's main stock index looked set to
open higher on Monday, as investors remained positive following
better-than-expected euro zone data and signs of economic reform
* The euro zone's trade surplus grew more than expected in
September as imports were flat and exports rose, data from the
European Union statistics office Eurostat showed.
* JPMorgan Chase & Co said on Friday it agreed to pay $4.5
billion to settle claims by investors who lost money on
mortgage-backed securities before the collapse of the U.S.
* Airbus and Boeing signed deals to buy some $5 billion of
parts and materials from Abu Dhabi, in a sign Gulf states are
seeking a reciprocal boost to their economies from the huge
orders they have placed with the planemakers.
* Aberdeen Asset Management is to buy Lloyds' fund
management arm Scottish Widows for about 660 million pounds,
creating Europe's No. 1 listed stand-alone fund manager.
* Canada stock futures traded up 0.01 percent
* U.S. stock futures , , were up
around 0.06 percent to 0.17 percent
* European shares, were up
COMMODITY PRICE MOVES
* Thomson Reuters-Jefferies CRB Index : 274.1935;
fell 0.26 percent
* Gold futures : $1,283; fell 0.33 percent
* US crude : $93.45; fell 0.42 percent
* Brent crude : $107.77; fell 0.67 percent
* LME 3-month copper : $7,001; fell 0.13 percent
CANADIAN STOCKS TO WATCH
* Barrick Gold and Goldcorp : The gold miners
are looking to sell their jointly owned Marigold mine in Nevada,
according to sources familiar with the situation. The mine
produced just under 40,000 ounces of gold in the third quarter.
* Tim Hortons : U.S. hedge funds Scout Capital
Management and Highfields Capital disclosed in regulatory
filings that they have trimmed their stakes in the company after
shares in the coffee and doughnut chain posted big gains.
Following is a summary of research actions on Canadian
companies reported by Reuters.
* IBI Group Inc : CIBC cuts rating to sector
underperformer from sector performer as the company reported
third-quarter results that reflected write-downs of
* Ithaca Energy Inc : RBC raises price target to
C$3.50 from C$3.20 following the company's strong third-quarter
* Onex Corp : CIBC raises price target to C$64 from
C$63 as the company reached an agreement to sell Caliber
* Power Corp of Canada : CIBC raises target price to
C$34 from C$32.25 on valuation.
* TeraGo Inc : CIBC cuts target price to C$9 from
C$10 after its CEO and President Bryan Boyd offered to resign.
ON THE CALENDAR
* Major Canadian economic data includes Canadian and foreign
* Major U.S. events and data includes net capital inflows
and NAHB index