SINGAPORE, Nov 6 Gold traded steady on Tuesday
as investors awaited potential policy spinoffs from the U.S.
presidential election, while China's upcoming leadership
transition and Greece's strike over a new austerity package also
kept sentiment cautious.
* Spot gold ticked up $1.47 to $1,685.46 an ounce by
0017 GMT, rebounding from a two-month low of $1,672.24 in the
* U.S. gold inched up 0.2 percent to $1,685.70.
* All eyes are on the U.S. presidential election due to take
place later in the day, as President Barack Obama and Republican
candidate Mitt Romney engaged in frantic last-minute campaigns
in a sprint through swing states.
* A win by President Obama could be positive for gold as he
is seen more supportive of stimulus measures, while additional
monetary easing may be out of question if Romney won, analysts
* The expansion in the vast U.S. services sector slowed
slightly last month, suggesting growth in the world's largest
economy would remain modest, while activity in China's services
industry also waned.
* Greece's government presented a new austerity package to
parliament on Monday as a week of strikes and protests kicked
off over proposals that lawmakers must approve if the country is
to secure more aid and stave off bankruptcy.
* China's ruling Communist Party opens its 18th Congress on
Thursday, a complicated political coronation that will install
the country's fifth generation of leaders.
* Hong Kong's gold shipment to mainland China in September
jumped 23 percent on the year to 69.711 tonnes as demand picked
up ahead of the holiday season, although net exports decreased
13 percent on the year.
* Holdings of gold-backed exchange-traded funds
stood at 75.074 million ounces by Nov. 4, just a
hair off the historical high of 75.086 million ounces hit in
* For the top stories on metals and other news, click
* U.S. stocks advanced modestly on Monday in light trading
in one of the year's quietest sessions on the day before the
U.S. presidential election.
* The euro languished at eight-week lows versus the
greenback on Tuesday, having fallen broadly as a Greek
parliament vote on a new austerity package loomed.
0330 Australia RBA cash rate Nov
0858 Euro zone Markit Services PMI Oct
1000 Euro zone Producer prices Sep
1100 Germany Industrial orders Sep
1245 U.S. ICSC weekly chain store sales
1355 U.S. Redbook weekly retail sales
Precious metals prices 0017 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Volume
Spot Gold 1685.46 1.47 +0.09 7.78
Spot Silver 31.17 0.02 +0.06 12.57
Spot Platinum 1539.40 0.16 +0.01 10.51
Spot Palladium 609.00 0.03 +0.00 -6.67
COMEX GOLD DEC2 1685.70 2.50 +0.15 7.59 1262
COMEX SILVER DEC2 31.20 0.07 +0.23 11.77 545
COMEX gold and silver contracts show the most active months
(Reporting by Rujun Shen; Editing by Ed Davies)