SINGAPORE, Jan 16 Gold inched up on Wednesday
towards a near two-week high hit in the previous session, while
platinum took a breather after rising for six straight sessions
to a three-month peak.
* Spot gold had climbed 0.3 percent to $1,683.60 an
ounce by 0025 GMT, just off Tuesday's high of $1,684.90.
* U.S. gold was little changed at $1,683.70.
* Two dovish Federal Reserve officials argued that the U.S.
central bank's accommodative policies are appropriate and may
even need to be eased further.
* U.S. retail sales rose solidly in December as Americans
shrugged off the threat of higher taxes and bought automobiles
and a range of other goods, suggesting momentum in consumer
spending as the year ended.
* Spot platinum traded nearly flat at $1,678.75,
sliding from a three-month high of $1,699.50.
* American Platinum plans to mothball two South
African mines, sell another and cut 14,000 jobs, risking a
repeat of last year's violent strikes as the world's largest
producer of the precious metal struggles to stem losses.
* Platinum mining stocks are an attractive investment at
current levels given threats to South African supply, but those
operating in the republic itself are less appealing than those
based elsewhere, a London fund manager said on Tuesday.
* India's passion for gold is putting such a strain on state
finances that the government may slap higher import taxes on the
precious metal, but demand buoyed by heady inflation and meagre
savings will blunt the impact of any rise in duties.
* U.S. American Eagle gold and silver coin sales have been
exceptionally strong in January, building on a late 2012 rally
as collectors scramble to snap up newly minted 2013 coins and
investors seek refuge from U.S. economic uncertainty.
* For the top stories on metals and other news, click
* The Dow and S&P 500 edged higher on Tuesday after
stronger-than-expected retail data, though tech heavyweight
Apple dragged on the market for a third day.
* The euro had its winning streak clipped after a top
European official complained about its recent run higher, while
the yen held firm on Wednesday following a warning about its
excessive weakness by a Japanese politician.
0500 Japan Consumer confid. index Dec
1000 EZ Inflation, final yy Dec
1330 U.S. Core CPI mm, sa Dec
1330 U.S. CPI mm, sa Dec
1330 U.S. Core CPI yy, nsa Dec
1330 U.S. CPI yy, nsa Dec
1415 U.S. Industrial output mm Dec
1500 U.S. NAHB housing market indx Jan
Precious metals prices 0025 GMT
Metal Last Change Pct chg YTD pct chg Volume
Spot Gold 1683.60 5.10 +0.30 0.54
Spot Silver 31.44 0.09 +0.29 3.83
Spot Platinum 1678.75 0.50 +0.03 9.36
Spot Palladium 708.97 0.47 +0.07 2.45
COMEX GOLD FEB3 1683.70 -0.20 -0.01 0.47 2950
COMEX SILVER MAR3 31.49 -0.04 -0.12 4.17 638
COMEX gold and silver contracts show the most active months
(Reporting by Rujun Shen; Editing by Joseph Radford)