METALS-London copper slips on stronger dollar
MELBOURNE, March 30 London copper slipped on Thursday in low volume trade as the U.S. dollar held gains on brighter economic signals from the United States.
Dec 11 Namibia produces 10 percent of the world's uranium but with new mines coming on stream output is expected to quadruple within the next few years. [ID:nGEE5B8013]
Here is a list of existing mines and planned projects:
* Rio Tinto's (RIO.L)(RIO.AX) Rossing mine produces roughly 4,000 tonnes of uranium per annum - or about 8 percent of the world's output -- and plans to sustain that output until 2023. With a heap leach facility planned, production at the mine could be expanded by a further 500 tonnes. [ID:nGEE5AP06V]
* Paladin Energy's (PDN.AX)(PDN.TO) Langer Heinrich mine is expected to raise capacity to rise to 3.7 million pounds from 2.6 million this year and to 5.2 million pounds next year. In the long term, capacity will be raised to 10 million pounds by 2014. [ID:nGEE5AN2WT]
* Areva's CEPFi.PA Trekkopje open-pit mine is expected to start production in 2011, rising to 3,500 tonnes of uranium per year. The French state-owned firm bought the mine when it acquired UraMin in 2007 for $2.5 billion.
* Extract Resources EXT.AXEXT.TO owns the Rossing South project, touted to become the world's second-largest uranium deposit following recent exploration results. Extended zones 1 and 2 at the project could contain more than 500 million pounds of uranium oxide, making the deposit the biggest after BHP Billiton's (BLT.L)(BHP.AX) Olympic Dam in Australia. AIM-listed Kalahari Minerals KAH.L has a 40 percent stake in the project. Production is envisaged for 2013. [ID:nGEE5AT2HN]
* Canadian-based exploration company Xemplar Energy Corp. (XEM.NM) holds a 100-percent interest in the Warmbad project and other potential areas across Namibia.
* Forsys Metals' (FSY.TO) Valencia uranium deposit is expected to start production in 2010, with a processing rate of 2.9 million pounds of uranium oxide concentrate (U3O8) per year over a 10-year mine life period.
* Bannerman Resources' BAN.TO(BMN.NM) principal asset is its 80 percent-owned Etango Project. Bannerman is focused on the feasibility assessment and development of a 5-7 million pounds per annum U3O8 open pit mining operation at Etango, targeting commissioning of the asset in 2011.
* Reptile Uranium, a 100-percent owned subsidiary of the Australian and Namibian-listed Deep Yellow (DYL.NM) holds four uranium exclusive prospecting licences in Namibia.
* Marenica Energy's (MEY.AX) deposit, adjacent to Areva's Trekkopje mine, is still in the exploration phase but is touted to become another major discovery. [ID:nLO900768]
Sources: Reuters, Web, IHN, World Nuclear Association
(Compiled by Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Hans Peters)
* Synovus to resell credit-card portfolio to Capital One - source (Adds stock movement in extended trade)