* Exports in May total $5.48 bln vs yr-ago $5.13 bln
* Electronic shipments down 1.6 pct from year ago
* January to May exports up 5.8 pct from year ago
MANILA, July 10 The Philippines' statistics
office released data on May exports on Thursday.
Total exports May April March Feb
yr/yr change (pct) 6.9 1.3 12.4 11.6
in $ bln 5.48 4.5 5.28 4.66
yr/yr change (pct) -1.6 -2.5 10.1 26.6
in $ bln 2.05 1.82 2.17 1.88
NOTE: Some numbers for previous months have been revised.
- Total exports in the first five months of the year rose
5.8 percent from the same period last year to $24.37 billion.
- Electronics and semiconductors, which made up 37.3 percent
of total exports for the month, contracted 1.6 percent against a
growth of 9 percent in the same month last year.
- Other top exports in May included mineral products,
coconut oil, other manufactures, and metal components.
- The government kept its 2014 export growth estimate at 6
percent, but lifted its import projection to 9 percent from 6
percent on anticipation of high inflows of construction
materials for rebuilding following last year's super typhoon
- The Philippines' largest electronics industry group,
Semiconductor and Electronics Industries in the Philippines Inc,
has maintained its estimate of 5 percent growth in the sector's
exports this year.
- The Southeast Asian nation provides about 10 percent of
the world's semiconductor manufacturing services, including for
mobile phone chips and micro processors.
(Reporting by Erik dela Cruz and Siegfrid Alegado; Editing by