LONDON, March 11 Gold edged up on Friday after a
major earthquake struck northeast Japan and worries about
further unrest in the Middle East underpinned safe-haven demand.
For latest market report, see [GOL/]
* Spot gold XAU= was bid at $1,416.9 at 0737 GMT from
$1,412.59 late in New York on Thursday.
* Silver XAG= was at $35.35 from $35.25.
* Platinum XPT= at $1768.99 from $1760.24.
* Palladium XPD= at $763.97 from $765.50
* UK producer prices for February, 0930 GMT
* U.S. retail sales for February, 1330 GMT
* Thomson Reuters/Univ of Mich prelim March consumer
sentiment, 1455 GMT
* U.S. business inventories for January, 1500 GMT
* U.S. ECRI weekly, 1530 GMT
[ECI/US] [ECI/EURO] [ECI/GB] [M/DIARY] [MTL/DIARY]
* The yen fell broadly and slumped to a two-week low against
the dollar on Friday after a major earthquake struck Japan and
triggered a slide in Japanese shares. [USD/]
* European stock index futures pointed to a lower open on
Friday, extending the previous session's selloff as investors
digested news of a strong earthquake that hit Japan. [.EU]
* Asian shares dropped after a massive earthquake hit Japan,
including the capital Tokyo, darkening an already bleak mood
caused by weak economic data and unrest in Saudi Arabia.
* Brent crude fell $2 towards $113 on Friday as a quiet
start to the planned "day of rage" in Saudi Arabia eased concern
that unrest would spread in the world's top oil exporter,
prompting investors to unwind positions. [O/R]
* Jewellers in India, the world's largest gold consumer,
were buying the metal to cover wedding-season needs but in small
quantities as prices held near record levels, while scrap sales
subsided in other parts of Asia, dealers said [ID:nL3E7EB0F0]
* China produced 42,530.3 kg of gold in February, 18.8
percent less than a year earlier, figures from the National
Bureau of Statistics showed. [ID:nnBJI00261]
* With silver prices expected to continue to rise over the
next few years, Silver Wheaton (SLW.TO) sees the possibility of
paying out around half its cash flow each year in dividends, its
chief executive said. [ID:nN10141547]
* Gold support at $1,400 an ounce, resistance at $1,445 an
ounce and 14-day RSI at 56.
* Platinum support at $1,720 an ounce, resistance at $1,820
and 14-day RSI at 40.
* Silver support at $34.50 an ounce, resistance at $36.80
and 14-day RSI at 65.
For related news and prices, click on the codes in brackets:
Spot gold/silver XAU= XAG= Platinum/palladium XPT=XPD=
Gold lease rates LGLR Comex gold futures <0#GC:>
Europe/Asia prices <GOLD/EU1> <GOLD/EU2> <GOLD/ASIA1>
CBOT 100 oz gold futures <0#ZG:>
RELATED NEWS AND OTHER TOPICS
Precious metals news [GOL] All metals news [MTL]
Metals summary [GLANCE/MTL] Index of summaries [GLANCE/]
All commodities news [C] Metals diary [MTL/DIARY]
Ldn Bullion Mkt Assoc LBMA01 Foreign exchange rates FX=S
COMMODS PRECIOUS1 <PRECIOUS/FUT1> <PRECIOUS/CASH1>
<PRECIOUS/SWAP1> <PRECIOUS/VOL1> REUTERS
(Reporting by Silvia Antonioli; editing by Jason Neely)