Reuters logo
Japan health ministry: no plans for Actos recall
June 10, 2011 / 2:50 AM / 6 years ago

Japan health ministry: no plans for Actos recall

TOKYO, June 10 (Reuters) - Japan has no plans to halt sales of Takeda Pharmaceutical Co’s Actos diabetes drug, an official at the nation’s health ministry said on Friday, after it was pulled from the market in France due to worries of a possible cancer link.

France’s drug safety authority suspended use of both Actos and Competact -- which combines Actos and an older drug called metformin -- on Thursday saying an official study had found they appeared to slightly raise the risk of bladder cancer.

After France’s move, the European Medicines Agency, based in London, said it was reviewing all relevant data about the safety of Actos and the possibility of a link to bladder cancer, but was not recommending any changes in use in the meantime.

Takeda officials said earlier that U.S. regulators had not signalled any intention to request a recall of the blockbuster product, which had global sales of 387.9 billion yen ($4.8 billion) in the year ended on March 31, accounting for 27 percent of Takeda’s revenues.

Shares of Takeda were down 2.3 percent at 3,690 yen by the midday break in Tokyo, underperforming a 1.3 percent rise in the Nikkei average . ($1 = 80.305 Japanese Yen) (Reporting by James Topham)

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below