X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In: Election 2016
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Life
    • Health
    • Sports
    • Arts
    • Entertainment
    • Oddly Enough
    • Faithworld
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
UPDATE 3-MSNBC and anchor Keith Olbermann abruptly part ways
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Market News | Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30pm EST

UPDATE 3-MSNBC and anchor Keith Olbermann abruptly part ways

* Olbermann had two more years on contract with MSNBC

* Suspended briefly in November for donations to Democrats

* No reason given for move (Adds MSNBC, Comcast spokesmen, details, background)

By Alex Dobuzinskis

LOS ANGELES, Jan 21 U.S. cable news television network MSNBC and its top anchor, Keith Olbermann, abruptly parted ways on Friday, less than three months after the liberal broadcaster was suspended for campaign donations to Democrats.

Olbermann, who had two years left on his contract, signed off for the last time on his "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" political affairs program on Friday night.

"This is the last edition of "Countdown," Olbermann said on the program, which drew over 1 million viewers a night.

"MSNBC and Keith Olbermann have ended their contract," the network said in a statement. Neither Olbermann nor MSNBC gave a reason for the move.

His departure came just over two months after MSNBC briefly suspended Olbermann for giving money to three Democratic politicians during the congressional election campaign, including Representative Gabrielle Giffords, who was coincidentally shot and wounded in an assassination attempt on Jan. 8 in Tucson, Arizona.

"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network statement said.

Olbermann, whose talks with MSNBC management about his future at the company had been going on for some time, seemed to suggest during his signoff that the decision to leave MSNBC had not been entirely his own.

"I think the same fantasy popped into the head of everybody in my business who has ever been told what I have been told, this will be the last edition of your show," he said.

He then mentioned the 1976 movie "Network," where a news anchor declares, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" and persuades viewers to yell out their windows.

Olbermann's program helped define MSNBC as a liberal voice in cable television and a counterpoint to Fox News' (NWSA.O) largely conservative bent. MSNBC is now second in cable news ratings behind Fox News and ahead of CNN (TWX.N).

The outspoken former sportscaster with ESPN went to work for MSNBC in 2003. He had the highest-rated host on MSNBC. The New York Times said he signed a $30 million four-year contract extension in 2008.

Olbermann would often take aim at conservative politicians and commentators, in a segment he called "The Worst Person in the World." His targets included rival commentator Bill O'Reilly from Fox News and New York 2010 Republican gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino.

MSNBC is a network in transition. Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O) earlier this week won approval from the Federal Communications Commission and the U.S. Justice Department for its combination with NBC Universal, the company behind MSNBC.

Once the deal closes, Comcast will acquire a 51 percent stake in NBC Universal from General Electric Co (GE.N).

Jeremy Gaines, a spokesman for MSNBC, said Comcast had nothing to do with Olbermann's departure.

Comcast said in a statement it did not yet have operational control of MSNBC.

"We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBC Universal's news operations," Comcast said. "We have not and we will not."

MSNBC said it would move its relatively new show "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell" to the 8 p.m. "Countdown" time slot. (Additional reporting by Yinka Adegoke; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Breakingviews

    Two tech giants face divergent futures

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In Market News

    UPDATE 1-Judge in Redstone hearing urges attorneys to reach agreements

    CANTON, Mass., Aug 26 A Massachusetts judge on Friday told attorneys to see if they could agree to resolve at least parts of a lingering family dispute over the fate of the empire built by Sumner Redstone, the controlling shareholder of Viacom Inc.

    UPDATE 1-Fed's Yellen offers dose of uncertainty to markets hungry for a clue

    JACKSON HOLE, Wyoming, Aug 26 To markets hungry for direction from the U.S. Federal Reserve, Fed Chair Janet Yellen offered a sobering dose of uncertainty for monetary policy and the global economy on Friday, suggesting interest rates could rise faster than expected in coming months or just as easily crater back to zero.

    BRIEF-Gold Reserve files for stock shelf of up to $71.9 mln in equity financing with U.S. SEC

    * Says files for stock shelf of up to $71.9 million in equity financing with U.S. SEC - SEC Filing Source - http://bit.ly/2c20y7d Further company coverage:

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy