X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Global panel seeks to investigate U.S. bombing of Afghan hospital
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
World News | Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32am EDT

Global panel seeks to investigate U.S. bombing of Afghan hospital

left
right
Afghan (MSF) surgeons work inside a Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital after an air strike in the city of Kunduz, Afghanistan in this October 3, 2015 MSF handout photo. REUTERS/Medecins Sans Frontieres/Handout via Reuters
1/2
left
right
Afghan guards stand at the gate of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) hospital after an air strike in the city of Kunduz, Afghanistan October 3, 2015. REUTERS/Stringer
2/2
By Stephanie Nebehay | GENEVA

GENEVA An international panel of experts is ready to investigate the U.S. bombing of a Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital in Afghanistan but awaits a green light from both governments, MSF and the Swiss foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

The hour-long air raid on Oct. 3 killed 22 people, including 12 MSF staff, and led to the closure of the Kunduz trauma hospital, depriving tens of thousands of Afghans of health care, the prominent medical charity said.

MSF has been demanding that the independent humanitarian commission created under the Geneva Conventions in 1991 be activated for the first time to handle the sensitive inquiry.

"The commission has already offered its services to the governments of the USA and Afghanistan," a Swiss foreign ministry spokesman said in an email to Reuters on Wednesday. "Any investigation would require the agreement of both governments, however."

Switzerland, which provides a secretariat for the Berne-based International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission, would welcome an "independent, effective and comprehensive investigation", he added.

The United States military has taken responsibility for the air strike, calling it a mistake. U.S. President Barack Obama apologized to MSF last week.

MSF, which said it could not rely on U.S., NATO and Afghan internal investigations to get to the bottom of the bombing, said the Commission had been activated.

"The IHFFC is now awaiting the agreement of the United States and Afghanistan governments to proceed," MSF said in a statement. Both nations must give their approval for the investigation to begin.

MSF has said the commission's inquiry would gather facts and evidence from the United States, NATO and Afghanistan, and testimony from MSF staff and patients who survived the attack.

"We have received apologies and condolences, but this is not enough. We are still in the dark about why a well-known hospital full of patients and medical staff was repeatedly bombarded for more than an hour," said Dr. Joanne Liu, MSF International President. "We need to understand what happened and why."

A White House spokesman said Obama had told Liu that a U.S. investigation would "provide a transparent, thorough and objective accounting" of the incident and if needed the U.S. president would take steps to ensure no recurrence.

The commission, composed of 15 experts including diplomats, military officers and medical doctors, was established under the Geneva Conventions that lay down the rules of war so as to protect civilians and non-combatants.

The International Committee of the Red Cross, guardian of the pacts, has already backed a role for the international commission to determine the facts of the Kunduz bombing.

"We absolutely support a fair, impartial and factual investigation," ICRC spokesman Ewan Watson said on Wednesday.

(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In World News

    Brazil's Temer puts judiciary pay raises on hold: Estado

    SAO PAULO Brazil's interim President Michel Temer and congressional allies will postpone planned pay raises for judiciary employees that could cost taxpayers 68 billion reais ($21 billion) by the end of 2018, O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper said on Saturday.

    German right-wing leader backs citizens' right to arm themselves

    BERLIN The leader of the populist Alternative for Germany (AfD) party has spoken out in favor of people arming themselves with guns and self-defense devices following a series of violent attacks last month.

    Turkish parliament approves deal ending rift with Israel

    ISTANBUL Turkey's parliament approved a reconciliation agreement signed with Israel in June which has brought to an end a six-year rift between the two regional powers, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Saturday.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy