X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
    • ADventures
    • Data Dive
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In: Election 2016
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Life
    • Health
    • Sports
    • Arts
    • Entertainment
    • Oddly Enough
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
BBC chief denies cover-up over sexual abuse
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Top News | Tue Oct 23, 2012 | 1:07pm EDT

BBC chief denies cover-up over sexual abuse

left
right
A video grab shows BBC director general George Entwistle appearing before a Culture and Media Committee hearing at Parliament in London October 23, 2012. REUTERS/UK PARLIAMENT
1/2
left
right
BBC director general George Entwistle walks past assembled members of the media, after appearing before a Culture and Media Committee hearing at Parliament in London October 23, 2012. The head of Britain's BBC told hostile lawmakers on Tuesday that allegations of sexual abuse against one of its former stars were a grave matter but denied bosses had tried to cover up one of the biggest crises to hit the publicly funded broadcaster. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
2/2
By Michael Holden and Kate Holton | LONDON

LONDON The head of the BBC denied on Tuesday helping to cover up sexual abuse by one of its former stars but accepted the British broadcaster had been damaged by a scandal that has shaken public trust in a national institution.

George Entwistle, who was announced as the 90-year-old media organization's new boss in August, told hostile lawmakers that failures at the BBC had allowed Jimmy Savile, once one of Britain's top TV presenters, to prey on young girls for years.

He added he could not rule out suggestions that a paedophile ring might have existed at the state-funded BBC during the height of Savile's fame in the 1970s and 80s.

But Entwistle rejected claims that BBC bosses had tried to hide allegations against Savile, who died last year, or suppressed an inquiry by one of their own news programs.

"This is a gravely serious matter and one cannot look back at it with anything other than horror," Entwistle told parliament's Culture and Media Committee.

"There is no question that ... the culture and practices of the BBC seemed to allow Jimmy Savile to do what he did, (which) will raise questions of trust for us and reputation for us."

Police are investigating allegations that the eccentric, cigar-chomping Savile, who hosted prime-time children's shows on the BBC, abused girls as young as 12 over six decades, with some of the attacks taking place on BBC premises.

Detectives announced a criminal inquiry into the claims on Friday, saying more than 200 potential victims had come forward.

The furor over Savile is the biggest controversy to hit the BBC since its director general and chairman resigned in 2004 after a judge-led inquiry ruled it had wrongly reported that former Prime Minister Tony Blair had "sexed up" intelligence to justify the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

It comes as British newspapers await the recommendations of a separate inquiry into journalistic ethics following a phone-hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch's now closed News of the World tabloid that could have serious implications for the media.

The BBC, which holds a special place in Britons' affection and is paid for by a tax on viewers, has been under growing pressure since rival channel ITV exposed Savile's alleged crimes three weeks ago.

Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday the BBC appeared to have serious questions to answer.

The most damaging aspect for Entwistle and senior managers was the accusation that a similar probe by the BBC's flagship "Newsnight" show was pulled a couple of months after Savile's death in October 2011 because it would clash with planned Christmas programs celebrating his life and charity work.

Entwistle's predecessor as the BBC's Director General, Mark Thompson, who is the New York Times Co's incoming chief executive, said the Newsnight investigation was mentioned to him by a journalist at a drinks party last year, but he was later told it was not going ahead for journalistic reasons.

"I was never formally notified about the Newsnight investigation and was not briefed about the allegations they were examining and to what extent, if at all, those allegations related to Savile's work at the BBC," he said in a letter to a British lawmaker on Tuesday.

He added he would be happy to appear in front of the parliamentary committee or any other inquiry in future.

"INACCURATE OR INCOMPLETE"

Newsnight's editor, Peter Rippon, stepped aside on Monday after the BBC said his explanation for shelving the story had been "inaccurate or incomplete", and Entwistle said Rippon had been wrong not to broadcast the report.

But he added: "I've been able to find no evidence whatsoever in the conversations I've had, and in the documents we've now pulled together, that any kind of managerial pressure to drop the investigation was applied."

At the time of the Newsnight probe, Entwistle was in charge of BBC television's commissioning and programming, and admitted the Head of News had briefly told him about it in December and that he might have to change the Christmas schedules, which included Savile tributes.

His failure to ask more questions about the Newsnight inquiry was ridiculed by some of the lawmakers, with one saying he showed a lamentable lack of knowledge.

Another likened his answers to those given by Murdoch's son James during questioning over phone-hacking when he appeared not to know what was going on within his media organization.

"You sound like James Murdoch now," Damian Collins said.

Entwistle admitted the BBC had taken longer to address the growing crisis than it should have but had been at pains to avoid causing any damage to the police investigation.

"We have done much of what we should have done," he said, explaining he had ordered two independent reviews.

Asked if it was likely that sexual abuse of children and young women had been widespread at the BBC, he said: "I don't yet have enough of a picture to know whether it was endemic."

He revealed the corporation is now investigating up to 10 "serious allegations" involving past and present employees over the "Savile period" and described the "Jim'll Fix It" star as a "skilful and successful sexual predator who covered his tracks".

Former colleagues have come forward to say there had been rumors for years involving young girls and Savile, famous for his garish outfits and long blonde hair. He was knighted by Queen Elizabeth for his extensive charity work.

Other BBC employees have talked of a culture at the corporation where women were groped and have hinted that Savile was not the only household name to have been involved.

Paid for by a yearly levy of 145.50 pounds ($230) on all British households with a color TV, critics have queried whether this license fee funding arrangement should continue when some private media companies are struggling.

Charlie Beckett, founding director of the Polis media think-tank at the London School of Economics, said managers at the BBC had tried to deflect blame and that was unacceptable.

"If we blame James Murdoch for what happened when he was in charge, then George, in terms of the Newsnight debacle and the general lack of grip, has been found wanting," he said.

(Additional reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer and Maria Golovnina; Editing by Giles Elgood and Will Waterman)

Next In Top News

Great Smoky Mountains fires leave 'scene of destruction'

Officials said on Tuesday that "the worst is over" for two small Tennessee resort towns in the Great Smoky Mountains where wildfires destroyed or damaged some 150 homes and other structures, forced thousands to flee and threatened country music star Dolly Parton's theme park, Dollywood.

Scores arrested in first 'Fight for $15' protest since Trump win

LOS ANGELES/CHICAGO Scores of demonstrators were arrested on Tuesday as U.S. fast-food and airport workers led nationwide protests for higher pay and union rights in their first major action since Donald Trump was elected president.

North Dakota officials back away from blockade plans for pipeline protesters

CANNON BALL, N.D. North Dakota state officials on Tuesday backed away from plans to block supplies from reaching protesters at a camp near the construction site of an oil pipeline project after the governor’s office said no such action was planned.

MORE FROM REUTERS

Sponsored Content

From Around the Web Promoted by Taboola

Trending Stories

    FOCUS 360

    Symbol of war: A village left in ruins

    Sponsored Topics

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy