Reuters logo
Casey Anthony plans to appeal convictions for lying
July 15, 2011 / 4:42 PM / in 6 years

Casey Anthony plans to appeal convictions for lying

ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) - Casey Anthony will appeal her convictions on four charges of lying to detectives who investigated the disappearance and death of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, a notice filed on Friday by her attorneys said.

<p>Casey Anthony (C) smiles at Defense Counsel Cheney Mason and Dorothy Clay Sims, before her sentencing at the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando, Florida, July 7, 2011. REUTERS/Joe Burbank/Pool</p>

A Florida jury acquitted 25-year-old Anthony earlier this month of killing Caylee, whose skeletal remains were found in woods near the Anthony family home after a five-month search.

Anthony was convicted of misdemeanor charges of lying to detectives searching for her then-missing daughter in 2008. Among other lies, Anthony said she left Caylee with a nanny named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez at an Orlando apartment complex.

Anthony was sentenced to the maximum of four years in jail on four counts of providing false information to a law enforcement officer. She will be released on Sunday, less than two weeks after her sentencing date after credit for time served awaiting trial and good behavior.

Meanwhile, a judge ruled Anthony will not have to appear on Tuesday for a deposition in a defamation lawsuit and set a new date for her to give sworn testimony in that case in October.

Lawyers have been seeking to take her deposition on behalf of a woman named Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez, who claims her life was ruined by Anthony’s allegation that a nanny by that name kidnapped Caylee.

Anthony’s lawyer Charles Greene had sought to block the deposition from taking place next week.

Greene argued in a motion that Anthony likely would assert her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination due to the status of her criminal case.

In court on Friday, Greene said a psychologist had evaluated Anthony on Thursday and found her “too emotionally unstable” to appear for the deposition, opposing lawyer Keith Mitnik told reporters after the hearing.

Mitnik said he was concerned Anthony would leave the area after her release from jail on Sunday and not show up for the civil court proceedings.

The defamation lawsuit was filed in 2008 but put on hold during the criminal proceedings. Fernandez-Gonzalez’s lawyers asked for an emergency order this week to compel Anthony to appear at the deposition, telling the judge they were concerned she would disappear after her release from jail.

Greene countered with a motion for an emergency protective order, arguing that Anthony was emotionally and mentally exhausted by the seven-week criminal trial and has had no time to prepare for her defense in the defamation case.

Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Jerry Norton

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below