NEW YORK Hip-hop mogul Diddy -- whose real name is Sean Combs -- said an accusation that he assaulted a man at a New York City nightclub earlier this month has been blown out of proportion by the media.
"It was something that was just totally overblown...I don't fight over girls!" Combs told a news conference to unveil a new business venture with Diageo PLC, the world's biggest alcoholic drinks group. But he added, "I am a human being and I will get into an argument at times."
Police sources have said Combs was being investigated in relation to an alleged fight over a woman at a New York City nightclub early in the morning on Oct 14.
When asked if there had been any legal follow-through, Combs said, "They looked into it. There are so many other things going on in the city."
Police sources said Steven Acevedo, 31, has accused Combs, 37, of punching him twice in the face at the nightclub in the Manhattan neighborhood of SoHo. They said Combs could be facing a misdemeanor charge of third-degree assault.
Diddy came in third on the Forbes.com "Hip-Hop Cash Kings" list in August with estimated earnings of $28 million in the past year. Forbes.com added that "Diddy's camp insists we have undervalued his 2006 income."
He runs Bad Boy Entertainment, owns the Sean John clothing label, has a cologne licensed to Estee Lauder and is an MTV television producer.
Combs announced on Wednesday he has inked a multi-year deal in which he'll help develop the Ciroc brand -- one of Diageo's super-premium vodka lines -- for a 50-50 share in the profits.