X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Munich gunman planned attacks for a year: Bavarian officials
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
World News | Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:55pm EDT

Munich gunman planned attacks for a year: Bavarian officials

left
right
People mourn outside the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, Germany July 24, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
1/5
left
right
Young women mourning outside the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, Germany July 24, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
2/5
left
right
People lay flowers in front of the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, Germany July 24, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
3/5
left
right
A woman lays flowers in front of the Olympia shopping mall, where yesterday's shooting rampage started, in Munich, Germany July 23, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
4/5
left
right
A man prays beside flowers laid in front of the Olympia shopping mall, where yesterday's shooting rampage started, in Munich, Germany July 23, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
5/5

MUNICH The 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who killed nine people in Munich on Friday began planning the attack a year ago after visiting the German city of Winnenden where another teenager killed 15 people in 2009, Bavarian officials said on Sunday.

Materials found at the gunman's home also showed he had been hospitalized for psychiatric care for three months around the same time, and was an avid player of violent video games, the officials told a news conference.

One of the games was "Counter Strike: Source", Robert Heimberger, president of the state crime office, said. He said it was "a game played by nearly every known rampage killer".

The gunman - identified by sources as David Sonboly - called himself "Ali" and once described the 17-year-old killer in the 2009 attack as a good person, according to a 16-year-old youth with whom he played video games in an online club, the German magazine Spiegel reported.

He frequently used online video handles such as "Hate" and "Rampage Killer", expressed nationalistic views, and was eventually excluded from the club because the other members were afraid of him, the magazine cited the other youth as saying.

"We always expected something like what happened, but we never thought he could get a gun and then use it," he said.

The gunman was also evidently inspired by Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik, and likely deliberately staged the shooting on the fifth anniversary of Breivik's massacre of 77 people, Heimberger said.

Bavaria's chief prosecutor Thomas Steinhaus-Koch said the gunman was treated for anxiety and been hospitalized for psychiatric treatment from July to September 2015, followed by out-patient treatment as recently as last month.

Investigators also found prescription medicines at his home, where he lived with his parents and younger brother.

He had made reference to his hospitalization in a heated exchange that was videotaped immediately after the shooting.

"I am German," he yelled at a bystander in a nearby apartment house after he yelled a racial slur and threw a beer bottle. "Because of you I was bullied for seven years."

Officials said authorities had investigated allegations in 2012 that the gunman was bullied by three other children, but none of those individuals - or any other classmates of the gunman - were among the shooting victims.

Nor did the victims include anyone who commented on a fake Facebook page created by the gunman in May, using photographs and the name of a young Turkish woman, the officials said. He had invited people to free food at the McDonald's restaurant at 4 p.m. local time, shortly before the shooting began.

Heimberger said the gunman likely purchased his weapon - a reactivated Glock 17 pistol - on the shadowy dark net area of the Internet.

He said it was unclear when he bought the gun, or how he paid for it, adding that the parents of the gunman remained in shock and were not able to be interviewed.

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Andrew Bolton)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In World News

    Turkey vows to cleanse Islamic State from its border after wedding attack kills 54

    ANKARA/ISTANBUL Turkey vowed on Monday to "completely cleanse" Islamic State militants from its border region, after a suspected suicide bomber with links to the group killed 54 people, including 22 children, at a Kurdish wedding.

    Libyan forces say they capture mosque, prison from Islamic State in Sirte

    TRIPOLI Libyan forces renewed their push to oust Islamic State from its former North African stronghold of Sirte on Sunday, saying they had seized the city's main mosque and a jail run by the militants' morality police.

    Iran says Russian use of air base for Syria strikes over 'for now'

    DUBAI Russia has stopped using an Iranian air base for strikes in Syria, Iran's foreign ministry announced on Monday, bringing an abrupt halt to an unprecedented deployment that was criticized both by the White House and some Iranian lawmakers.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy