1 Min Read
(Reuters) - Thousands of migrant workers live in Israel, many of whom lack work permits and risk deportation.
Here are some facts about these workers:
* Around 85,000 foreign workers are in Israel with work permits that are usually valid for a maximum of five years.
* They work mainly in the health care, agricultural and construction sectors. More than 1,000 work in restaurants and factories.
* At least 80,000 more have stayed in Israel illegally after their work permits expired or were revoked. Those classified as illegal also include migrants who arrived on tourist visas.
* Many workers come from China, Thailand or the Philippines while others come from eastern European countries such as Moldova and Romania. There are hundreds of illegal workers from African countries, including Ghana and Nigeria.
* Around 55,000 illegal workers have been deported since the start of a Palestinian uprising in 2000 when Israel brought in
foreign workers to fill jobs previously done by Palestinians.