CHICAGO (Reuters) - A woman sued McDonald’s Corp, on Friday, saying she was injured after chewing on a “large shard of glass” inside her spicy McChicken sandwich.
Vjollca Lecaj said she suffered severe and permanent oral injuries, as well as “great pain and anguish,” after biting into and chewing the glass last August 5 at a McDonald’s in Oak Lawn, Illinois, near Chicago.
A spokeswoman for McDonald’s did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The complaint filed in Cook County Circuit Court said Lecaj’s sandwich may have been contaminated after an overheated glass coffee pot exploded, causing glass shards to scatter.
Lecaj accused the world’s largest fast-food chain of failing to properly inspect its cooking equipment and ensure that her sandwich could be eaten safely.
She is seeking more than $50,000 in damages. McDonald’s is based in Oak Brook, Illinois.
Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York, Editing by Greg McCune