X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
    • ADventures
    • Data Dive
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Commodities
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Polling Explorer
    • Live: U.S. Politics
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Media
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Life
    • Health
    • Sports
    • Arts
    • Entertainment
    • Oddly Enough
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Former Mitsubishi Motors head convicted for death
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Business News | Wed Jan 16, 2008 | 3:00am EST

Former Mitsubishi Motors head convicted for death

TOKYO A Japanese court found a former head of Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T) and three other former executives guilty of negligence leading to the death of a truck driver, a court official said on Wednesday.

Former company President Katsuhiko Kawasoe, 71, and the others were given suspended sentences, allowing them to walk free, the official at Yokohama District Court said.

The arrest of Kawasoe hit Mitsubishi Motors just as it was trying to recover after it was revealed in 2000 the company had covered up safety records and customer complaints for decades in Japan's worst recall scandal.

The case is the first involving a faulty vehicle in which the head of a manufacturer has been convicted, Kyodo news agency said. All four had pleaded not guilty, it said.

In the fatal accident six years ago, a driver in Yamaguchi, at the southern tip of Japan's main island, lost control of his truck and crashed into a wall.

Police said the crash could have been avoided if Mitsubishi had issued a recall for vehicles with faulty clutch housings.

Mitsubishi had been aware of the fault but decided to conduct secret repairs, police said. The truck was made by what is now Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corp, which Mitsubishi Motors spun off in January 2003.

In December, the Yokohama court found two other former Mitsubishi executives guilty of negligence in another fatal accident in 2002, in which a female pedestrian was killed by a wheel that came loose from a Mitsubishi Fuso truck, domestic media said.

Although sales and earnings have recovered, recall scandals involving the concealment of safety defects dogged Mitsubishi Motors for years.

Sales slumped as its brand image was battered and DaimlerChrysler dissolved its partnership with the Japanese automaker, leading to a multibillion-dollar bailout from Mitsubishi group firms and investment funds.

(Reporting by Isabel Reynolds; Editing by Mike Miller)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles

Next In Business News

Mnuchin sees U.S. growth reaching 3 percent in time, tax cuts to help

BEVERLY HILLS U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Monday that economic growth of three percent is achievable in the next two years as the Trump administration sets out to dramatically cut taxes.

Dish revenue misses estimates, loses more subscribers than expected

Dish Network Corp's quarterly revenue missed analysts' estimates as the U.S. satellite TV provider lost more pay-TV subscribers than expected.

MORE FROM REUTERS

Sponsored Content

From Around the WebPromoted by Revcontent

Trending Stories

    Pictures

    Photos of the day

    Sponsored Topics

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Careers

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • Cookies
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy