X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Tales from the Trail
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
BP made risky decisions before spill-panel document
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
Business News | Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58pm EST

BP made risky decisions before spill-panel document

By Ayesha Rascoe | WASHINGTON

WASHINGTON BP (BP.L) made a series of decisions while drilling its doomed Macondo well that saved time but added risks prior to its massive Gulf spill, according to a White House oil spill commission document leaked by a media outlet.

The chart compiled by the commission's investigative team outlines 11 unnecessary actions taken by BP and its partners in the lead-up to the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

The document has not been officially released by the commission, but was made public in an online article by energy trade publication Greenwire on Tuesday.

BP workers on shore made most of these risky decisions, such as not waiting for more centralizers (devices used to ensure the cement casing is applied evenly around the well) and not installing additional plugs and barriers, the commission document said.

The document was left out of a commission presentation on the causes of the oil spill earlier this month because the commissioners had not had time to review it, a panel spokesman said.

The chart stands in contrast to some comments made by the commission's investigators during that hearing that BP workers did not cut corners on safety to save money.

After push back over the comments, commissioners and the investigators attempted to clarify that the findings did not mean that the companies involved with the accident never made decisions based on financial motives.

The investigators said their initial findings only indicated that workers on the rig did not consciously risk their own safety due to concerns about money.

Commission spokesman Dave Cohen said that, while the chart has not been released, all of the points in the document were made during the public hearings.

"The commission continues to stand behind those findings," Cohen said.

He said the commission is waiting for more information, and the document will be made public in the future.

Charged with guiding the future of offshore drilling, the seven-member presidential commission is scheduled to release its final recommendations by January.

In addition to BP, the document said BP's contractors Halliburton (HAL.N) and Transocean (RIG.N) also made some time-saving decisions that increased safety risks.

Halliburton, which did the cementing for the BP well, is charged with not re-evaluating its cement slurry design and not waiting for results of some stability tests on its foam cement formula.

The document also blames Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig, for undertaking simultaneous operations during the abandonment of the well.

Transocean maintains it did not simultaneously carry out multiple operations at the end of the well and instead just followed temporary abandonment procedures laid out by BP.

"Transocean does not -- and did not in connection with the Deepwater Horizon -- operate in preference of time or cost over safety," a company spokesman said in a statement.

BP declined to comment on the commission document when contacted by Reuters.

A Halliburton spokeswoman said the company was "unable to comment as we have not reviewed the document."

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Breakingviews

    M&A activist twist suits almost everyone

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In Business News

    Global monetary taps still open wide, Fed minutes in focus

    LONDON The glue binding a still-aggressive global monetary policy response to a struggling world economy and almost daily record highs for world stock markets along with record low bond yields is set to remain intact in the coming week.

    Electronic Marlboro sucks Japanese smokers away from Japan Tobacco

    TOKYO Marlboro maker Philip Morris International says its e-cigarette has rapidly captured close to 3 percent of Japanese tobacco sales, making inroads into a market Japan Tobacco (JT) relies on for 40 percent of its profit.

    Fed should raise interest rates this year, Williams says

    SAN FRANCISCO The Federal Reserve should raise interest rates further this year, a top U.S. central banker said in an interview published on Thursday, reflecting improved labor market conditions and the likelihood that inflation is heading higher.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy