X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
Bill Cosby accused in lawsuit of molesting girl in 1974
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
U.S. | Tue Dec 2, 2014 11:49pm EST

Bill Cosby accused in lawsuit of molesting girl in 1974

Actor Bill Cosby speaks at the National Action Network's 20th annual Keepers of the Dream Awards gala in New York April 6, 2011.  REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
Actor Bill Cosby speaks at the National Action Network's 20th annual Keepers of the Dream Awards gala in New York April 6, 2011. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson
By Steve Gorman | LOS ANGELES

LOS ANGELES Bill Cosby was sued on Tuesday by a woman alleging he molested her in 1974 at the Playboy Mansion in Los Angeles when she was 15, in what is believed to be the first court case arising from a recent wave of sexual misconduct accusations against the comedian.

The five-page complaint, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, charged that Cosby sexually abused plaintiff Judy Huth by putting his hand down her pants, and then "taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without her consent."

Huth claims she and a female friend met and chatted with Cosby on the set of a movie they saw was being filmed in a suburban Los Angeles park, and that he invited them to his tennis club the following Saturday.

The suit also says the girls told Cosby they were 15- and 16-years-old when he asked their ages.

Arriving at the tennis club days later, the two girls played a drinking game with Cosby at his suggestion, and he then led them to the Playboy Mansion after they "had been served multiple alcoholic beverages."

Once at the mansion, the suit said, Cosby instructed the girls to lie about their ages if asked. It was there that the Huth said she emerged from a bathroom to find Cosby on a bed, asking her to sit beside him before groping her.

"This traumatic incident, at such a tender age, has caused psychological damage and mental anguish for the plaintiff that has caused her significant problems throughout her life," the complaint said. The suit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

Cosby's lawyer, Martin Singer, had no immediate comment on the matter, his office said.

The suit came a day after Cosby resigned from the board of trustees of Temple University, his Philadelphia alma mater, amid a series of sexual assault accusations lodged against the comedian by more than a dozen women in recent weeks.

None of those women is believed to have filed a lawsuit.

Allegations that Cosby, now 77, drugged and sexually assaulted a number of young women decades ago gained renewed attention after standup comic Hannibal Buress called him a rapist during a performance in October.

One of Cosby's accusers, Barbara Bowman, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last month that he sexually assaulted her on multiple occasions in 1985 when she was 17.

Cosby's camp unwittingly intensified the scandal on Twitter by asking supporters to create viral online parodies, or "memes," about him, and were instead barraged with Internet satires about the rape accusations.

Cosby has not been charged. His lawyers have called the assault claims discredited and defamatory. In 2006, he settled for an undisclosed sum a lawsuit brought by another woman, Andrea Constand, who claimed Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her.

NBC and Netflix recently canceled projects with Cosby, and reruns of his top-rated sitcom, "The Cosby Show," were pulled from cable channel TV Land, all without explanation.

(Reporting by Steve Gorman; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In U.S.

    Witness in N.Y. cleric killing ID'd someone other than suspect

    NEW YORK A potential witness in the New York City shooting deaths of a Muslim cleric and his assistant picked out someone during a police lineup who was not the suspect now facing murder charges, a prosecutor said on Thursday.

    Firefighters gain ground on California wildfire

    Firefighters were gaining ground on Friday against a wildfire burning in a Southern California mountain pass that has forced some 80,000 residents to flee their homes and has consumed dozens of structures.

    U.S. judge permanently blocks Florida law to end abortion funding

    A federal judge on Thursday permanently blocked parts of a Florida law that aimed to cut off state funding for preventive health services at clinics that also provide abortions.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy