December 7, 2012 / 5:17 PM / in 5 years

Syrian minister rolls back school toll, says nine dead

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syria’s foreign minister said on Friday that nine school children were killed in a “terrorist” attack on Tuesday, contradicting an earlier report from the official state news agency saying 28 had been killed.

State television reported on Tuesday that a rebel mortar attack killed nine school children and a teacher when “terrorists” - a term the government uses for rebels who are fighting to oust President Bashar al-Assad - fired a mortar at a school in Wafideen Camp, in the Damascus suburbs.

A later report by the state news agency SANA said that the number had risen to 28 school children and one teacher. UNICEF, the United Nations children’s fund, released a statement on Wednesday condemning the attack.

Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem was quoted on Friday by SANA telling Filippo Grandi, the U.N. Relief and Works Agency Commissioner General, that nine school children and a teacher were killed in the attack.

Reuters is unable to independently verify reports in Syria due to severe government restrictions.

Reporting by Oliver Holmes; Editing by Michael Roddy

0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below