X
Edition:
United States

  • Business
    • Business Home
    • Legal
    • Deals
    • Aerospace & Defense
    • Finance
    • Autos
    • Reuters Summits
  • Markets
    • Markets Home
    • U.S. Markets
    • European Markets
    • Asian Markets
    • Global Market Data
    • Indices
    • Stocks
    • Bonds
    • Currencies
    • Comm & Energy
    • Futures
    • Funds
    • Earnings
    • Dividends
  • World
    • World Home
    • U.S.
    • Special Reports
    • Reuters Investigates
    • Euro Zone
    • Middle East
    • China
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Brazil
    • Africa
    • Russia
    • India
  • Politics
    • Politics Home
    • Election 2016
    • Polling Explorer
    • Just In
    • What Voters Want
    • Supreme Court
  • Tech
    • Technology Home
    • Science
    • Top 100 Global Innovators
    • Environment
    • Innovation
  • Commentary
    • Commentary Home
    • Podcasts
  • Breakingviews
    • Breakingviews Home
    • Breakingviews Video
  • Money
    • Money Home
    • Retirement
    • Lipper Awards
    • Analyst Research
    • Stock Screener
    • Fund Screener
  • Rio 2016
  • Pictures
    • Pictures Home
    • The Wider Image
    • Photographers
    • Focus 360
  • Video
FDA eases access to morning-after pill
  • Africa
    América Latina
  • عربي
    Argentina
  • Brasil
    Canada
  • 中国
    Deutschland
  • España
    France
  • India
    Italia
  • 日本
    México
  • РОССИЯ
    United Kingdom
  • United States
U.S. | Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53am EDT

FDA eases access to morning-after pill

A pharmacist works at a pharmacy in Toronto, January 31, 2008. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
A pharmacist works at a pharmacy in Toronto, January 31, 2008. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
By Susan Heavey | WASHINGTON

WASHINGTON Seventeen-year-olds will soon have access to emergency contraception without a prescription, U.S. health regulators said on Wednesday, complying with a court order to ease restrictions on over-the-counter sales of the so-called "morning-after" pill.

Last month, a U.S. court ruled the Food and Drug Administration under the Bush administration had allowed politics to cloud its decision-making process regarding availability of the Plan B drug which had been restricted to those 18 and older.

It ordered the agency to allow nonprescription sales to 17-year-olds, and to reconsider its decision regarding over-the-counter access to Plan B.

The FDA on Wednesday said it would allow nonprescription access to 17-year-olds as soon as it received necessary information from the drug's maker, Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc, now part of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.

"The government will not appeal this decision," the FDA said in a statement on its website.

Teva said it would comply with FDA's request but it could still take 10 months before the drug is available without a prescription for younger buyers.

"We will continue to work closely with FDA to ensure that all provisions of this decision are met," it said.

Women's health advocates cheered the FDA's decision, with some adding that access should be loosened even more, to allow shelf sales without age restrictions. They along with company officials argue it is critical for women to have quick access to the drug, which aims to prevent pregnancy when used within 24 hours of sexual intercourse.

"It's a good indication that the agency will move expeditiously to ensure its policy on Plan B is based solely on science," said Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, which initiated the lawsuit in 2005.

National Women's Health Network policy director Amy Allina said FDA's move "gets us part way to where we believe the FDA should be." But she added, "Putting it behind the counter does not make it safer or more effective. In fact, because it creates another barrier it's likely to make it less effective."

Plan B is a set of two pills that contain higher doses of progestin than are used in prescription birth control pills.

Conservative groups have opposed any nonprescription access to the drug, saying among other things that it could lead to promiscuity.

"The FDA violated its standards when it made the high dose Plan B available nonprescription to adults. But now the FDA is making the drug available to minors without parental consent," Concerned Women for America President Wendy Wright said in a statement. "The FDA should have challenged the decision."

Barr had earlier sought over-the-counter access for those 16 and older.

The FDA under President George W. Bush delayed making any decision for three years. Then In 2006 it allowed behind-the-counter sales to those age 18 and older who showed proof of age while still requiring a prescription for girls 17 and younger.

Even with the new FDA decision, the company would have to submit additional data on the drug for 16-year-olds, said Diana Zuckerman, head of the National Research Center for Women & Families.

Despite the limitations, sales of Plan B "have more than doubled" since it became available for adults from pharmacists in 2006, Teva said.

The FDA posted the announcement on its website here

(Editing by Carol Bishopric and Tim Dobbyn)

Trending Stories

    Editor's Pick

    LIVE: Election 2016

    Sponsored Topics

    Next In U.S.

    Southern California wildfire rages unchecked after evacuations

    Hundreds of firefighters were battling a rapidly-spreading wildfire raging unchecked in drought-stricken Southern California on Wednesday after flames forced more than 80,000 residents to flee.

    NY man in court charged with murdering Muslim cleric, assistant

    NEW YORK A New York City man appeared in court on Tuesday and denied charges he shot and killed a Muslim cleric and his assistant on a street in the borough of Queens over the weekend.

    Bar rises for Milwaukee police review after latest shooting

    NEW YORK Milwaukee, shaken by two nights of violence after a shooting by police, is one of a few U.S. cities to have volunteered for federal government review of its police force and may now be held to higher standards for how it responds.

    MORE FROM REUTERS

    From Around the Web By Taboola

    Sponsored Content By Dianomi

    X
    Follow Reuters:
    • Follow Us On Twitter
    • Follow Us On Facebook
    • Follow Us On RSS
    • Follow Us On Instagram
    • Follow Us On YouTube
    • Follow Us On LinkedIn
    Subscribe: Feeds | Newsletters | Podcasts | Apps
    Reuters News Agency | Brand Attribution Guidelines | Delivery Options

    Reuters is the news and media division of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters is the world's largest international multimedia news agency, providing investing news, world news, business news, technology news, headline news, small business news, news alerts, personal finance, stock market, and mutual funds information available on Reuters.com, video, mobile, and interactive television platforms. Learn more about Thomson Reuters products:

    Eikon
    Information, analytics and exclusive news on financial markets - delivered in an intuitive desktop and mobile interface
    Elektron
    Everything you need to empower your workflow and enhance your enterprise data management
    World-Check
    Screen for heightened risk individual and entities globally to help uncover hidden risks in business relationships and human networks
    Westlaw
    Build the strongest argument relying on authoritative content, attorney-editor expertise, and industry defining technology
    ONESOURCE
    The most comprehensive solution to manage all your complex and ever-expanding tax and compliance needs
    CHECKPOINT
    The industry leader for online information for tax, accounting and finance professionals

    All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. See here for a complete list of exchanges and delays.

    • Site Feedback
    • Corrections
    • Advertise With Us
    • Advertising Guidelines
    • AdChoices
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy