April 3, 2014 / 1:53 PM / in 4 years

University of Connecticut issues all-clear after bomb threat

(Reuters) - Police found no evidence of explosive devices in a search of a building on the University of Connecticut’s campus outside Hartford following a bomb threat earlier on Thursday, and students and staff were cleared to return to the premises.

The administrative building had been evacuated following the threat, received at 9:12 a.m. EDT, and a police search of the premises yielded “no credible threat,” according to a posting on the university Web site.

Spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz said the threat had come outside the university and that the building contained no classrooms or dorms.

On a typical day, there are about 20,000 students and staff at the school’s main campus in Storrs, Connecticut, about 28 miles east of Hartford, Reitz said.

Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Bernadette Baum

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below