November 26, 2012 / 8:35 PM / 5 years ago

Autopsy finds winner of roach-eating contest in Florida choked to death

(Reuters) - A Florida man choked to death after eating dozens of roaches and worms last month to win a contest featuring a python as the top prize, according to autopsy results released on Monday.

The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that 32-year-old Edward Archbold’s October 6 death to be accidental and said he died after being deprived of oxygen “due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents.”

Lab tests were negative for lethal intoxicating substances and a severe allergic reaction, the medical examiner said.

Archbold collapsed soon after beating out several other contestants who competed for a python in a roach-eating contest at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

No other contestants experienced medical problems following the event, police said.

Reporting by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Eric Beech

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below