Philadelphia Jewish cemetery desecrated by vandals
About 100 headstones at a Jewish cemetery in Philadelphia have been knocked over, police said on Sunday, in the latest apparent vandalism incident at a Jewish burial ground in the United States.
CONWAY N.H. Elation over the sudden return of a teenager who went missing for nine months from a small town in New Hampshire's White Mountains is giving way to critical questions from residents about why and how she had vanished.
Abigail Hernandez, 15, was reported missing in Conway on Oct. 9 after she didn't return home from high school, prompting a public campaign that drew national headlines. Authorities announced her return on Monday, noting the "facts and circumstances" of her disappearance are under investigation.
At Banners Restaurant, a popular local eatery, Hernandez's return was a common topic of conversation. Jesse Shackford, 66, said it was wonderful news she was home, but he added that it was unclear if she had been abducted or left on purpose.
"All of the things that had to be done, and all the time and money spent ... if it was avoidable, then that's sad," he said.
State and local police, with assistance from the FBI, launched a wide search after Hernandez's disappearance, and there was an outpouring of support in Conway, with several fund-raisers held to benefit the family.
On Thursday, the state attorney general's office released a sketch of a man who was said to have picked up Hernandez in October. He was described as short, slightly overweight and to have been driving a blue pickup truck.
The statement noted that it is not clear whether the man took Hernandez "against her will, enticed her away, detained her or concealed her whereabouts for the last nine months."
Hernandez's family has not spoken publicly since her return.
On Friday, Assistant Attorney General Jane Young said she could not say whether the family was cooperating with the investigation. "I'm not going to characterize any witness ... with respect to their cooperation," she said.
Questions in town mirrored a surge in speculative posts on the Facebook page "Bring Abby Home."
Administrators of the page wrote: "While we appreciate the desire for answers, this is still very much an ongoing law enforcement investigation and no details can be released that could jeopardize the integrity of their work."
(Reporting by Ted Siefer; Editing by Richard Valdmanis and Eric Beech)
WASHINGTON U.S. President Donald Trump's pick for secretary of the Navy withdrew from consideration on Sunday, the second time a Trump nominee to lead one of the armed services bowed out because of government conflict-of-interest rules.
Lawyers for U.S. Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl said on Sunday they will ask an Army appeals court to dismiss charges against him in the belief that President Donald Trump's repeatedly calling him a "traitor" during the election campaign make it impossible for him to get a fair trial.