May 31, 2013 / 6:11 PM / 4 years ago

Vivendi agrees proposal for mediator in Canal+ spat

PARIS (Reuters) - French media group Vivendi on Friday backed a proposal to name a mediator in the legal spat with media group Lagardere over their Canal+ France pay-TV venture.

Jean-Francois Dubos, Chairman of the Management Board and CEO of Vivendi, speaks during the company's 2012 annual results presentation in Paris February 26, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

“Vivendi confirms it has accepted the proposal from Commercial Court President Franck Gentin to open the way to a mediation in the lawsuit filed by Lagardere, demonstrating its goodwill and full confidence,” a Vivendi spokesman told Reuters.

Lagardere could not be immediately reached for comment.

Lagardere had said in February it was suing Vivendi for 1.6 billion euros ($2 billion) in a dispute over Canal+ France.

Lagardere wants Vivendi to return the sum to Canal+ France because it claims Vivendi is making permanent use of the business’s entire cash surplus under a disputed cash management agreement between the venture and its Vivendi-owned parent.

Vivendi has in turn accused Lagardere of trying to destabilise it and force it to buy back Lagardere’s 20 percent stake in Canal+ France.

Earlier this month Vivendi, which owns the remaining 80 percent, said the stake was “core” and it was not interested in selling it to Lagardere. ($1 = 0.7716 euros)

Reporting by Dominique Vidalon; Editing by David Holmes

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below