BOSTON - Hedge fund manager William Ackman, who is betting $1.16 billion that Herbalife is a fraud, spent $264,000 last year on lobbyists to press his case against the company, according to government documents filed in recent weeks.
Recent Business News
PORCIA, Italy - The boxy white and grey factory of this rainy northern town makes fewer than half the washing machines it did when Italy joined the euro. It is one of the many symbols of Southern Europe's industrial decline.
LONDON - Mark Carney faces probably his toughest questioning so far as Bank of England governor next week when lawmakers will seize on a foreign exchange scandal to press their demands for tighter oversight of the central bank.
MILAN - The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) has raised doubts about whether Italian banks will be able to book gains in their 2013 results resulting from a hike in the value of stakes they hold in the Bank of Italy, newspapers said on Sunday.
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc trades at a lower premium and has more earnings power than Carl Icahn's Icahn Enterprises Inc , and investors wishing to invest alongside either billionaire may want to side with the so-called Oracle of Omaha, Barron's said in its March 10 edition.
The FT's Michael Mackenzie reports that the amount of money borrowed on margin to buy stocks on the NYSE hit a new, nominal high of $451 billion. That's up 20% over last year, Mackenzie reports.
- Manufacturing and consumer spending edge up
- Is China’s red-hot housing market finally beginning to cool down?
- What we know about income inequaliy: America’s disappearing ‘middle-skill’ jobs and falling wages
- The end of the boom in emerging markets reserves
- Is the US labor market doing better than we think?
- US sees moderate manufacturing growth in January