NEW YORK - U.S. stocks tumbled on Thursday, with the Dow and the S&P 500 suffering their worst day since early February, on rising concerns over Ukraine and Russia and new signs of a slowdown in China.
- U.S. lifts ban blocking BP from new government contracts
- Bank of America back in court over $2.1 billion fraud penalties
- Peltz blasts PepsiCo again, seeks details on operations, strategy
- Courts will decide on Fannie, Freddie shareholders: U.S. lawmaker
- Target says it declined to act on early alert of cyber breach
Recent Business News
- Barclays is reviewing the size and shape of its investment bank, in a review that is expected to result in it shrinking and focusing on its most profitable areas, two people familiar with the matter said on Thursday.
ATLANTA - Budget air carrier Norwegian Air hopes to soon get U.S. government approval to operate more lower-cost flights to Europe despite opposition from U.S. and European unions, its chief executive said on Thursday.
WASHINGTON - U.S. retail sales rebounded in February and new filings for jobless benefits hit a fresh three-month low last week, suggesting the economy was regaining strength after an abrupt slowdown caused by severe weather.
LONDON - Royal Dutch Shell will cut spending by a fifth and lay off staff at its American exploration and production business, the company said on Thursday, in another sign that oil majors are struggling to profit from the booming U.S. shale sector.
The state of the US job market is essentially unchanged. On Wednesday morning, the most recent Bureau of Labor Statistics Job Openings and Labor Turnover (JOLTs) data showed that the rate of hiring, turnover, and the number of open jobs was largely unchanged.
- Charting the Malaysian airliner disappearance
- The worrying (or not) rise of margin debt
- Manufacturing and consumer spending edge up
- Is China’s red-hot housing market finally beginning to cool down?
- What we know about income inequaliy: America’s disappearing ‘middle-skill’ jobs and falling wages
- The end of the boom in emerging markets reserves