WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve on Wednesday offered a strong signal that it was on track to raise interest rates sometime next year, altering a pledge to keep them near zero for a "considerable time" in a show of confidence in the U.S. economy.
Recent Business News
- General Mills Inc affirmed its full-year forecast and reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit on Wednesday, and the maker of Cheerios cereal and Betty Crocker cake mixes said it would increase sales through new products.
- PepsiCo Inc earnings could come under pressure in the fourth quarter due to currency fluctuations, investors said, as the company's biggest foreign markets - Russia, Mexico and Canada - have all taken hits to their currencies in recent months.
PARIS - A management reshuffle at Airbus this week marks another step towards focusing Europe's biggest aerospace company on industrial performance rather than the political interests of key shareholders France and Germany, industry sources said.
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer prices recorded their biggest drop in nearly six years in November as gasoline prices tumbled, but did little to change views the Federal Reserve would start raising interest rates in mid-2015.
NEW YORK - World oil prices jumped as much as 6 percent on Wednesday before closing off their peaks as weeks of nearly non-stop selling abruptly halted, and traders said failure to break below key chart support levels meant a long rout may be running out.
A cursory peek inside the technologies that power TVs.
- How record crops generate food inequality
- The world’s rising tides have something for everyone to worry about
- ‘Why women are stripey’ and other informational videos
- Ev Williams is right not to care about Instagram
- In Uber’s fast expansion, big legal headaches
- On the debt limit, Congress is seriously unfunny