NEW YORK - Activist investor Carl Icahn and Southeastern Asset Management Inc have initiated talks with banks and asset managers to line up commitments for as much as $7 billion in bridge loans to back their leveraged recapitalization proposal for Dell Inc, banking sources told Thomson Reuters LPC on Thursday.
NEW YORK - Sprint Nextel and SoftBank Corp said on Thursday they had received all necessary state regulatory approvals for the Japanese company's proposed $20.1 billion purchase of 70 percent of Sprint.
MADRID - Spain's Caixabank may sell around 10 percent of Grupo Financiero Inbursa , a Mexican bank controlled by tycoon Carlos Slim, in response to renewed pressure to shed investments and bulk up capital.
DUBLIN - Elan rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion bid on Thursday, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share.
- Private equity firm Apax Partners LLP has agreed to acquire rue21 Inc for about $1.1 billion, attracted by the teen-apparel retailer's growth and cash flow and keen to add to a retail portfolio that includes Cole Haan and Takko Fashion.
- General Electric Co is considering spinning off parts of its financial arm, GE Capital, through an initial public offering as part of its plan to reduce the size of the business, Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt said.
MOSCOW - Russia's second-largest bank VTB said it was in talks to sell its stake of around 10 percent in Societe Generale's Russian unit Rosbank, with the French parent seen as the likely buyer.
MILAN - Italian fashion house Prada is not planning on returning to the acquisition trail for now, its chief executive said on Thursday, dousing speculation it might be in the hunt for deals.
AMSTERDAM - The Netherlands is willing to sell its 33 percent stake in nuclear fuel producer Urenco, but wants governments to retain a majority holding in the firm or keep control over key aspects of its business, the Dutch finance ministry said on Thursday.
- U.S. industrial conglomerate Dover Corp said it plans to spin off most of its communication technologies businesses into a publicly traded company to focus on its industrial businesses, sending its shares up as much as 5 percent.
- Finance: Spanish lender Ibercaja takes over Caja 3
- Technology: SoftBank would add 'security director' to Sprint board
- Healthcare: Hospital firms say research tie-ups can clinch takeovers
- Consumer: Fisker fields $20 million offer from Bob Lutz, Wanxiang: sources
- Energy: India's Essar Oil to sign $1 billion debt-for-fuel deal with China
- Industrials: Thai Bank of Ayudhya denies report of MUFG offer for stake
- M&A: BUYOUTS-NYC investment officer's new job raises eyebrows
- Bankruptcy: Ally settlement may be a boon for ResCap bondholders
- IPOs: UPDATE 1-Dutch aluminum products maker Constellium shares fall in debut
- Private Capital: BUYOUTS-NYC investment officer's new job raises eyebrows
- Hedge Funds: Toscafund bullish on UK economy and stock market
- Regulatory: UPDATE 2-U.S. Commerce nominee poised for swift Senate approval
- Report: More PE, activity programs needed in schools - USA TODAY
- Hand of Lincoln: Abe's note saving teen soldier up for sale - Fox News
- Boy Scouts vote on gay members: What's at stake - NBCNews.com (blog)
- Beware of that hedge fund in the window - Fortune
- What Should Everyone Know About Mergers And Acquisitions? - Forbes
- Russia's VTB in talks to sell Rosbank stake - Reuters
- Deals of the day -- mergers and acquisitions - Reuters
- U.S. 10-Year TIPS Sale May Yield Negative 0.244%, Survey Shows - Bloomberg
- Obama limits U.S. drone strikes in shift from constant war footing |
- Boy Scouts of America delegates vote to remove ban on gay scouts
- Analysis: Markets face rough summer ride as Fed pullback feared
- British police arrest two more over London attack |
- Google faces new federal antitrust probe: source
- Proxy advisory firm settles SEC charges over data breach
- Former Goldman banker settles SEC 'pay-to-play' charges
- EU probes ally of Kosovo PM, ambassador for war crimes
- Jobs, housing data show economy has some muscle
- Insight: In attacker's argot, Londoners shocked to hear one of their own