PARIS - A 1.1 billion euro ($1.48 billion) guarantee demanded by French judges of Swiss bank UBS reflects the size of the fine it could pay if found guilty of helping French customers avoid tax, the French prosecutor's office said on Thursday.
LOS ANGELES - U.S. President Barack Obama will call on Thursday for an end to a corporate loophole that allows companies to avoid federal taxes by shifting their tax domiciles overseas in deals known as "inversions," White House officials said.
LONDON - Britain's leading fraud prosecutor on Thursday charged a British subsidiary of French engineering group Alstom with three offences of corruption and three offences of conspiracy to corrupt after a five-year investigation.
NEW YORK - U.S. authorities' $8.9 billion settlement last month with French bank BNP Paribas for sanctions busting will pay for New York cops to get live computer feeds of street crime and for new carpets in the offices of prosecutors, among many other things.
NEW YORK - A U.S. federal judge on Wednesday dismissed a shareholders' lawsuit claiming JPMorgan Chase & Co board members knew about Bernard Madoff's Ponzi scheme and ignored red flags signaling his massive fraud.
NEW YORK - A federal judge on Wednesday said banks faced an uphill battle in convincing her to dismiss a U.S. regulator's claims that they misled Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac into buying mortgage-backed securities that later went sour.
FRANKFURT - The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has found serious problems in Deutsche Bank AG's U.S. operations, including shoddy financial reporting, weak technology and inadequate auditing and oversight, people close to the matter told Reuters.
NEW YORK - Bernard Madoff's massive Ponzi scheme relied on reams of fake trading documents to fool regulators for decades.
NEW HAVEN Conn. - A former Jefferies Group Inc managing director convicted of defrauding investors who traded mortgage bonds through a government program established after the 2008 financial crisis was sentenced on Wednesday to two years in prison.
- Financial: EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions draft
- Technology: Google under fire from regulators over response to EU privacy ruling
- Healthcare: Obama presses to close corporate tax loophole 'inversions'
- Consumer: UPDATE 2-China probes food businesses; Hong Kong bans imports in meat safety scare
- Energy: UPDATE 3-Indonesia to revise mineral export tax rules, give Freeport export permit
- Industrials: Indonesia finalising mineral export tax revision, will issue in Aug -dep finmin
- M&A: Repsol will return cash to shareholders in absence of buys - CFO
- Bankruptcy: UPDATE 1-Former BES CEO Salgado detained, to appear before judge -official
- IPOs: BRIEF-Ballast Nedam announces 88.2 pct take-up in rights offering
- Private Capital: BRIEF-iomart Group says independent directors reject 2 offers for co by Cinven
- Hedge Funds: Argentine default in balance as government refuses to capitulate