- Shares of Barnes & Noble Inc fell as much as 11 percent on Friday, a day after the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission told the bookseller it had begun an investigation into a restatement of earnings announced on July 29.
- Department store chain J.C. Penney Co Inc said it received a letter of inquiry from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, seeking an explanation on the company's financial position.
LONDON - British housebuilder Berkeley said its full-year earnings could rise towards the top end of expectations and accelerated a dividend payout to shareholders, sending its share price to an all-time high.
SAN FRANCISCO - Video game publisher Electronic Arts said on Thursday it halted development on upcoming projects of its "Battlefield 4" game to fix technical problems that have plagued the title recently, taking its stock down as much as 8 percent.
- Hedge fund Hayman Capital Management LP sold all its shares in J.C. Penney but still holds the ailing retailer's debt, fund manager Kyle Bass told Bloomberg TV on Thursday.
- Kroger Co , the biggest U.S. supermarket operator, on Thursday reported slightly lower-than-expected overall quarterly sales and joined other retailers in taking a cautious stance on the remainder of 2013, sending its shares down 4 percent.
- Apparel retailer Aeropostale Inc forecast a much bigger-than-expected loss for the holiday shopping quarter as it struggles to keep up with the tastes of young shoppers, sending its shares down 4 percent in extended trading.
- Apparel retailer Guess Inc cut its full-year revenue forecast as it expects a bigger fall in European sales in the holiday-shopping quarter.
SYDNEY - Qantas Airways Ltd put fresh strain on Australia's 'open for business' credentials on Thursday, calling for government support after shocking investors with a loss warning.
- Verde Potash Plc , a Toronto-listed company planning to build a potash mine in Brazil, said on Friday that it is not aware of any corporate developments to account for a 47 percent spike in its stock.
No related dividends are currently scheduled within the next 7 days.