Gainers & Losers
- Apparel retailer Aeropostale Inc forecast a much bigger-than-expected loss for the holiday shopping quarter as it struggles to keep up with the tastes of young shoppers, sending its shares down 4 percent in extended trading.
- Apparel retailer Guess Inc cut its full-year revenue forecast as it expects a bigger fall in European sales in the holiday-shopping quarter.
SYDNEY - Qantas Airways Ltd warned on Thursday it expects to post an underlying pre-tax loss between A$250 million ($225 million) and A$300 million for the first half of the current year, following a "marked deterioration" in market conditions.
- Prominent short-seller Jim Chanos has taken a major short position in shares of CGI Group Inc , the parent of CGI Federal, which is the main contractor behind the U.S. government's glitch-plagued HealthCare.gov website.
- U.S. fertilizer company CF Industries Holdings Inc said on Wednesday it hired two investment banks to evaluate funding options, including a master limited partnership, pushing shares up 10 percent.
- Hedge fund Hayman Capital has taken a stake in General Motors Co and believes the U.S. automaker's stock could rise more than 40 percent over the next 12-18 months after the U.S. Treasury sells its stake in the company, a source familiar with investment said on Wednesday.
- Deere & Co , the world's largest farm equipment maker, said it was expanding its share buyback plan by $8 billion.
- Apparel retailer Express Inc joined other U.S. retailers in forecasting a weaker-than-expected holiday quarter as muted Thanksgiving sales resulted in heavy discounting.
SYDNEY - Australian shopping mall operator Westfield Group's securities jumped more than 6 percent on Wednesday after it announced plans to separate its global retail assets from its Australia and New Zealand businesses.
- J.C. Penney Co Inc said on Tuesday that comparable-store sales rose in November for the second straight month, as its aggressive discounts and the return of some in-house brands brought back shoppers at the start of the holiday quarter.