News: Southern Co (SO.N)
17 May 2013
Wed, Apr 24 2013
HOUSTON, April 24 - More high-quality pipe and more workers are needed to complete Southern Co's coal-gasification plant in Kemper County, Mississippi, by a 2014 deadline, company executives said on Wednesday.
April 5 - Georgia Power, Southern Co's largest utility unit, is investigating the cause of Thursday's explosion at its 3,166-megawatt Plant Bowen coal-fired station located in Bartow County, northwest of Atlanta, the company said on Friday.
April 4 - Southern Co's largest utility unit, Georgia Power, said it had shut its 3,166-megawatt Plant Bowen coal-fired station after an explosion Thursday afternoon.
April 4 - Southern Co's largest utility unit, Georgia Power, confirmed that an explosion occurred on Thursday afternoon at the 3,166-megawatt Plant Bowen coal-fired station in Bartow County, northwest of Atlanta.
* Mississippi utility says it can finance coal plant for less
- About 130,000 homes and businesses were still without power early Tuesday in Alabama and Georgia following severe thunderstorms on Monday.
HOUSTON, March 5 - State regulators approved a 15 percent rate increase for customers of Southern Co's Mississippi Power unit on Tuesday to allow the utility to begin recovering costs for a controversial coal-gasification power plant under construction in Kemper County.
March 4 - U.S. power company Southern Co said the two new power reactors under construction at the Vogtle nuclear plant in Georgia will cost more because the units will enter service later than expected.
HOUSTON - Southern Co's Mississippi utility is supporting legislation that would allow it to recover another $1 billion from ratepayers for the Kemper County coal-gasification power plant, pushing the potential price tag for the controversial project to $3.8 billion.
* Monitor says plant unlikely to meet target operating date
- Will Uranium Costs Kill Nuclear?
- Utility Investors Should Focus On ROIC, Not Dividend Yield - Part I: DJU Index's Best
- 'Mad Money' Lightning Round: Buy AOL Now
- It Is Time To Sell (Not So) High Yielding Bonds
- The Best Utilities For Dividends, Part 2
- Conservative Dividend Investors Have 3 Options Right Now
- Southern Company names Tom Wilson vice president and chief information security officer of Southern Company Services
- Georgia Power adds new biomass capacity from Georgia's Piedmont Green Power
- Employees safely return Plant Farley unit 2 to service following planned refueling outage
- Georgia Power named overall national pledge leader in Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR® campaign
- Southern Company reports first quarter earnings
- Southern Company subsidiary acquires 139-megawatt solar plant and more than doubles solar generating capacity
- SouthernLINC Wireless Introduces New Suite of Nationwide High-Speed Services with Dual SIM Smartphone
- Georgia Power to acquire 250 megawatts of wind energy from leading developer EDP Renewables
- Georgia Power celebrates Earth Day statewide
- Georgia linemen recognized during first-ever National Lineman Appreciation Day