News: Target Corp (TGT.N)
10 Dec 2013
Tue, Dec 3 2013
TORONTO - U.S. retailers looking north in their quest for growth should consider the frosty reception Canada has so far given trendy discounter Target Corp a cautionary tale: what looks like a simple border crossing can easily go wrong.
NEW YORK - The Dow industrials closed above 16,000 for the first time on Thursday as stocks rebounded from three days of weakness, after economic data pointed to a slowly improving labor market and subdued inflation. | Video
- Discount chain Target Corp on Thursday blamed what it called "constrained" U.S. consumer spending for a tepid rise in quarterly comparable sales, and lowered its full-year profit forecast as a Canadian expansion proved costlier than expected.
(Adds investor quote, Canadian details, byline, updates stock price)
Nov 21 - Target Corp : * Reports third quarter 2013 earnings * Q3 GAAP earnings per share $0.54 * Q3 earnings per share view $0.63 -- Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S * Sees FY 2013 adjusted earnings per share $4.59 to $4.69 * Sees Q4 2013 adjusted earnings per share $1.50 to $1.60 * Q3 adjusted earnings per share $0.84 * Says in third quarter 2013 the Canadian segment generated sales of $333
Nov 21 - Target Corp on Thursday reported comparable sales rose a smaller than expected 0.9 percent in the third quarter, blaming what it called "constrained" consumer spending, and it lowered its full year profit forecast.
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc on Thursday forecast a disappointing profit for the holiday season after reporting its third straight quarterly decline in U.S. comparable sales because of fewer shopper visits. | Video
(Adds comments from media call, investor comment; updates share activity)
TORONTO - Two big Canadian grocers reported steep declines in quarterly profit on Wednesday in the face of escalating competition from the likes of Wal-Mart Stores Inc and Target Corp , a new entrant to the Canadian market.
(Deletes paragraph that quoted analyst Peter Sklar saying dividend increase traditionally took place in the fourth quarter after Sklar corrected his note on the issue)
- Target Announces Strong Start to Black Friday Sale with Target.com Traffic Exceeding Previous Records
- Target Announces Cyber Monday Deals and New Digital Savings This Holiday Season
- Consumer Goods Sector Announce Quarterly Financial Results and Black Friday Promos - Research Report on Target, Dollar Tree, Ross Stores, Macy's and Abercrombie & Fitch
- Target Donates $50,000 for Tornado Relief in the Midwest
- Target Reports Third Quarter 2013 Earnings
- Target Corporation to Webcast 3rd Quarter Earnings Conference Call
- Target to Open New Stores in Bronx-Throggs Neck and Sayville, N.Y.
- Target to Open New Store in Miami
- Target to Open New Store in Westlake Village, Calif.
- Morning Research: Target Corp., Dollar General Corp., Costco Wholesale Corp., and Dollar Tree Inc.