Profile: Mercer International Inc (MERC.O)

MERC.O on Nasdaq

10.09USD
29 Jul 2014
Price Change (% chg)

$-0.04 (-0.39%)
Prev Close
$10.13
Open
$10.20
Day's High
$10.20
Day's Low
$9.91
Volume
222,973
Avg. Vol
169,204
52-wk High
$11.41
52-wk Low
$6.62

Search Stocks

Mercer International Inc. (Mercer) operates in the pulp business and is the producer of market northern bleached softwood kraft (NBSK) pulp. The Company’s operations are located in Eastern Germany and Western Canada. The Company produces pulp for resale, which include market pulp in Germany. The Company operates three NBSK pulp mills with a consolidated annual production capacity of approximately 1.5 million air-dried metric tons. The mills include Rosenthal mill, Celgar mill and Stendal mill. The mills constitute to the Company’s individual pulp mills segment. The Company manufactures and sells NBSK pulp produced from wood chips and pulp logs. During the year ended December 31, 2011, the Company’s mills generated 652,113 megawatt hours, 520,005 megawatt hours and 478,674 megawatt hours, respectively, of surplus energy, primarily from a renewable carbon-neutral source. During the year ended December 3, 2011, the Company sold 652,113 megawatt hours and 520,005 megawatt hours of surplus energy.

Rosenthal mill

The Rosenthal mill is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company. It owns and operates NBSK pulp mill that has an annual pulp production capacity of approximately 345,000 air-dried metric tons. Additionally, the Rosenthal mill is a producer of green energy and exported 161,286 megawatt hours of electricity as of 2011. The Rosenthal mill is located near the town of Blankenstein, Germany approximately 300 kilometers south of Berlin.

As of 2011, the Rosenthal mill consumed approximately 1.8 million cubic meters of fiber. Approximately 70% of the consumption was in the form of sawmill wood chips and approximately 30% was in the form of pulp logs. The Rosenthal mill consists of 31 sawmills located primarily in the states of Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemberg and Thuringia and are within a 300 kilometer radius of the Rosenthal mill.

Celgar mill

The Celgar mill is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company. It owns and operates NBSK pulp mill with an annual pulp production capacity of approximately 520,000 air-dried metric tons. The Celgar mill also produces green energy and exported 140,069 megawatt hours of electricity as of 2011. The Celgar mill is located near the city of Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada, approximately 600 kilometers east of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

As of 2011, the Celgar mill consumed approximately 2.6 million cubic meters of fiber. Approximately 61% of the fiber was in the form of sawmill wood chips and the remaining 39% came from pulp logs processed through its woodroom or chipped by a third party. The source of fiber at the mill is characterized by a mixture of species (whitewoods and cedar) and the mill sources fiber from a number of Canadian and the United States suppliers.

Stendal mill

The Stendal mill is a 74.9% owned subsidiary of the Company. Stendal owns and operates NBSK pulp mill that has an annual pulp production capacity of approximately 645,000 air-dried metric tons. The Stendal mill is also a producer of green energy and exported 350,758 megawatt hours of electricity as of 2011. The Stendal mill is located near the town of Stendal, Germany, approximately 130 kilometers west of Berlin.

As of 2011, the Stendal mill consumed approximately 3.2 million cubic meters of fiber. Approximately 25% of the fiber was in the form of sawmill wood chips and approximately 75% in the form of pulp logs. It also purchases wood chips from Southwestern and Southern Germany. The fiber base in the wood supply area for the Stendal mill consists of approximately 68% pine and 32% spruce and other species in 2011. The Stendal mill has sufficient chipping capacity to fully operate solely using pulp logs, if required. The Company sources pulp logs partly from private forest holders and partly from state forest agencies in Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia, Hesse and Brandenburg.

Company Address

Mercer International Inc

700 WEST PENDER STREET, SUITE 11
VANCOUVER   BC   V6C 1G8
P: +1604.6841099
F: +1604.6841094

Search Stocks