Profile: Polypore International Inc (PPO)
17 May 2013
Polypore International, Inc.,incorporated on April 19, 2004, is a global high-technology filtration company that develops, manufactures and markets specialized microporous membranes used in separation and filtration processes. The microporous membranes the Company produces are highly-engineered polymeric structures that contain millions of pores per square inch, enabling the management of ions, gases and particles that range in size from the cellular to the nano or molecular level. The Company's products and technologies are used in two primary businesses: energy storage and separations media. The energy storage business produces and markets membranes that provide the critical function of separating the cathode and anode in a variety of battery markets and consists of two reportable segments which include the electronics and electric drive vehicles (EDV) segment and the transportation and industrial segment. The EDVs segment produces and markets membranes for lithium batteries that are used in portable electronic devices, cordless power tools, EDVs and emerging applications such as energy storage systems (ESS). The transportation and industrial segment produces and markets membranes for lead-acid batteries that are used in automobiles, other motor vehicles, forklifts and uninterruptible power supply systems. The separations media business, which is a reportable segment, produces and markets membranes and membrane modules used in hemodialysis, blood oxygenation, plasmapheresis, other medical applications and various high-performance microfiltration, ultrafiltration and gasification/degasification applications.
In the energy storage business, the Company's membrane separators are a critical performance component in lithium and lead-acid batteries, performing the core function of regulating ion exchange and thus allowing the charge and discharge process to occur between a battery's positive and negative electrodes. These membrane separators require specialized technical engineering and must be manufactured to extremely demanding requirements and specifications including thickness, porosity, mechanical strength and chemical and electrical resistance. The Company develops , manufacture and market a lines of polypropylene and polyethylene monolayer and multilayer membrane separators for lithium batteries that are used in numerous applications such as consumer electronics devices, EDVs, cordless power tools and ESS.
The Company develops , manufacture and markets a range of polymer-based membrane separators for lead-acid batteries. Approximately 75% of the Company's lead-acid battery separators are used in batteries for automobiles and other motor vehicles. The remaining approximately 25% are used in industrial battery applications such as forklifts, submarines and uninterruptible power supply systems.
In the separations media business, the Company's filtration membranes and modules are used in healthcare and high-performance filtration and specialty applications. The Company develops , manufactures and markets polyethersulfone membranes for the hemodialysis markets. Hemodialysis is the artificial process that performs the function of a healthy kidney for patients with permanent kidney failure, a condition known as End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). The Company develops , manufacture and market polyolefin membranes for the blood oxygenation markets. The Company develops , manufacture and market polypropylene and polyethersulfone membranes for the plasmapheresis markets. The Company produces a wide range of membranes and membrane-based elements for microfiltration and ultrafiltration as well as gasification/degasification of liquids, covering a broad range of applications in the filtration market. The Company serves a variety of filtration end markets, including water treatment, food and beverage processing and pharmaceutical, semiconductor and flat panel display manufacturing.
The Company competes with Entek International LLC, Baoding Fengfan Rising Battery Separator Co., Ltd. Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd, Asahi Kasei E-materials Corp., Toray Battery Separator Film Co., Ltd. SK Innovation Co., Ltd., Ube Industries Limited, Asahi Kasei Kuraray Medical Co., Ltd., Fresenius Medical Care, Gambro AB and Toyobo Co. Ltd., Terumo Medical Corp., Dainippon Ink and Chemicals, Inc., Koch Membrane Systems, X-Flow B.V. Millipore and Pall Corporation.
Polypore International Inc
1430 N. Community House Road
CHARLOTTE NC 28277-1591