Profile: Century Aluminum Co (CENX.OQ)
20 Dec 2013
Century Aluminum Company (Century) is engaged in producing aluminum. The Company’s primary aluminum capacity includes the facility in Grundartangi, Iceland (Grundartangi) with capacity of 260,000 metric tons per year; its facility in Hawesville, Kentucky (Hawesville) with capacity of 244,000 metric tons per year; its facility in Ravenswood, West Virginia (Ravenswood), curtailed, with capacity of 170,000 metric tons per year; and a 49.7% interest in a facility in Mt. Holly, South Carolina (Mt. Holly), which provides it with capacity of 111,000 metric tons per year. During the year ended December 31, 2011, the Company’s production capacity was 785,000 metric tons per year, and produced approximately 602,000 metric tons of primary aluminum. The Company has a 40% stake in Baise Haohai Carbon Co., Ltd. (BHH), a carbon anode and cathode facility located in China. The Company’s three primary customers include Glencore International, Southwire Company and BHP Billiton. As of the year ended December 31, 2011, Glencore owned 41.6% of Century’s interests. In June 2013, the Company announced that its wholly owned subsidiary has completed the transaction with Rio Tinto Alcan, Inc. to acquire substantially all of the assets of the Sebree aluminum smelter.
The Grundartangi facility located in Grundartangi, Iceland, is owned and operated by its subsidiary, Nordural Grundartangi ehf. It has an annual production capacity of 260,000 metric tons per year. During 2011, Grundartangi produced almost 278,000 metric tons of primary aluminum, 7% above its rated production capacity. Grundartangi operates under various agreements with the Government of Iceland, local municipalities, and Faxafloahafnir sf.
Hawesville is owned and operated by Century Aluminum of Kentucky, the Company’s wholly owned subsidiary. Hawesville is located adjacent to the Ohio River near Hawesville, Kentucky. Hawesville has five reduction potlines with an annual rated production capacity of 244,000 metric tons. Four of Hawesville's potlines are configured and operated to produce primary aluminum, and have an annual rated production capacity of approximately 195,000 metric tons.
Mt. Holly, located in Mt. Holly, South Carolina, is a constructed aluminum reduction facility in the United States. The facility consists of two potlines with a total rated production capacity of 224,000 metric tons per and casting equipment used to cast molten aluminum into standard-grade ingot, extrusion billet and other value-added primary aluminum products. The Company’s interest in Mt. Holly is held through its subsidiary, Berkeley Aluminum, Inc. (Berkeley). It holds an undivided 49.7% interest in the property, plant and equipment consisting of the aluminum reduction operations at Mt. Holly and an equivalent share in the general partnership responsible for the operation and maintenance of the facility. Alcoa owns the remaining 50.3% interest in Mt. Holly and an equivalent share of the operating partnership.
The Ravenswood facility is owned and operated by its subsidiary, Century Aluminum of West Virginia, Inc. Ravenswood has four potlines with a production capacity of 170,000 metric tons. The facility is located adjacent to the Ohio River near Ravenswood, West Virginia.
The Helguvik project site is located approximately 30 miles from the city of Reykjavik, Iceland, and is owned and would be operated through its Nordural Helguvik ehf subsidiary. This site provides a flat location and existing harbor, as well as proximity to the international airport, the capital and other industry.
Baise Haohai Carbon Company, Ltd.
Baise Haohai Carbon Co., Ltd., a carbon anode and cathode facility located in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region of south China. The BHH facility has an anode production capacity of 180,000 metric tons per year and a cathode baking and graphitization capacity of 20,000 metric tons per year.
Century Aluminum Co
Suite 1000, One South Wacker Dri
CHICAGO IL 60606