Rio Tinto PLC (RTPPF.PK)
18 Oct 2017
SYDNEY A U.S. law firm has filed a class action suit against mining giant Rio Tinto, which is facing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) fraud charges stemming from an ill-fated investment in Mozambique coal mining.
* 1st publicly announced class action vs Rio on Mozambique deal
SYDNEY, Oct 24 A U.S. law firm has filed a class action suit against mining giant Rio Tinto , which is facing U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) fraud charges stemming from an ill-fated investment in Mozambique coal mining.
LONDON Former Rio Tinto chief financial officer Guy Elliott has stepped down from Britain's Takeover Panel following fraud charges brought by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) related to his time at the miner.
SYDNEY Global miner Rio Tinto has opened its books to more than a half-dozen potential buyers of its remaining two Australian coal mines as it winds down the sales process, two people familiar with the sale process said on Friday.
* Sale seen fetching around $2 bln - sources (Adds analyst comment, industry context)
* Analyst says gap narrowing between BHP, Rio (Adds detail on Resolution copper mine)
* Says CGI and Rio Tinto expand outsourcing partnership to include industry 4.0 digital transformation initiatives
SYDNEY/NEW YORK The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Tuesday charged mining company Rio Tinto Plc and two of its former top executives with fraud, saying they inflated the value of coal assets in Mozambique and concealed critical information while tapping the market for billions of dollars. | Video
* SEC seeks to bar Albanese, Elliott from roles at public companies. (Adds detail on SEC, US bonds)