Lawson Inc (2651.T)
28 Apr 2017
* Will record 400 bln yen goodwill writedown on Toll Holdings
HONG KONG (Reuters Breakingviews) - Investors are wary of a new blot on Japan Inc's image. Camera and photocopier-maker Fujifilm said on Thursday it had uncovered some dodgy accounting abroad. The negative stock market reaction to a $200 million flub is telling.
TOKYO Japan's plans to implement more employee-friendly laws are set to prove painful for many companies, with half saying labor costs will rise and two-thirds considering ways to lift productivity to offset the impact of the reforms, a Reuters poll showed.
* Keeps FY operating profit view unchanged at 175 bln yen (Recasts, adds CEO's comments on prices)
* Says the company enters into a business combination contract with Lawson, as a step of capital and business alliance formed with Lawson Inc previously
* Says it will take over part of convenience store business from Three F Co Ltd
* Says Mitsubishi acquired 16.6 million shares of Lawson Inc through its takeover bid during the period from Dec. 22, 2016 to Feb. 9, 2017
* Says the co will form business alliance with Lawson Travel, Inc. on the promotion of travel product skyticket
TOKYO/SINGAPORE Japan Inc may become a more important force in dealmaking next year as its cashed-up companies seek to buy growth prospects elsewhere in the world and as Beijing's crackdown on capital outflows prevents some Chinese companies from making foreign acquisitions, bankers and lawyers said.
TOKYO Corporate Japan is bracing for a rocky ride under incoming U.S. President Donald Trump, a Reuters poll showed, with well over a third of firms seeing a contraction in global trade as concerns about a rise in U.S. protectionism threaten to shatter a fragile economic recovery.