Loblaw Companies Ltd (L.TO)
|Market Cap (Mil.):||$11,904.26|
|Shares Outstanding (Mil.):||282.29|
* TSX rises 44.62 points, or 0.33 percent, to 13,370.66 * Eight of 10 main index sectors advance * Loblaw, Metro fall after quarterly earnings drop By John Tilak TORONTO, Nov 13 - Canada's main stock index rose on Wednesday as gains in the energy and financial sectors offset a selloff in shares of grocers Loblaw Cos Ltd and Metro Inc spurred by lackluster earnings reports. Investors also speculated about the outlook for the U.S. Federal Reserve's stimulus program,
TORONTO - Two big Canadian grocers reported steep declines in quarterly profit on Wednesday in the face of escalating competition from the likes of Wal-Mart Stores Inc and Target Corp , a new entrant to the Canadian market.
(Deletes paragraph that quoted analyst Peter Sklar saying dividend increase traditionally took place in the fourth quarter after Sklar corrected his note on the issue)
* TSX rises 22.04 points, or 0.17 percent, to 13,348.08 * Seven of 10 main index sectors advance * Loblaw, Metro slip after quarterly earnings drop By John Tilak TORONTO, Nov 13 - Canada's main stock index edged higher on Wednesday as gains in the energy and financial sectors outweighed sharp declines in grocery chains Loblaw Cos Ltd and Metro Inc spurred by weak earnings reports. Investors also speculated about the outlook for the U.S. Federal Reserve's stimulus
TORONTO, Nov 13 - Canada's main stock index opened lower on Wednesday, weighed by sharp declines in grocery chains Loblaw Cos Ltd and Metro Inc after their quarterly earnings dropped. The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index was down 29.04 points, or 0.22 percent, and 13,296.60 shortly after the open.
- Loblaw Cos Ltd , Canada's largest grocer, reported a 29 percent fall in quarterly profit, hurt by a later Thanksgiving holiday and a decline in sales at its drugstores.
* Says profit hurt by later Thanksgiving, higher investments
Nov 13 - Loblaw Co Ltd, Canada's largest grocer, reported a 29 percent fall in quarterly net profit as sales in its retail business, which includes drugstores and its Joe Fresh apparel brand, rose just 1.5 percent.
TORONTO, Nov 12 - Shoppers Drug Mart Corp, Canada's largest pharmacy chain, on Tuesday reported slightly lower quarterly net income due in part to charges from its pending acquisition by Loblaw Co Ltd.
* Primark, Loblaw pay 3 months' wages to workers, families
|Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT.N)||$77.55||+0.31|
|Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST.OQ)||$118.81||+0.82|
|Publix Super Markets Inc. (PUSH.PK)||$15.50||0.00|
|Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc (ATDb.TO)||$78.51||-0.05|
|Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc (ATDa.TO)||$79.41||+0.01|
|Metro, Inc. (MRU.TO)||$65.69||+0.44|
|Sears Canada Inc (SCC.TO)||$13.25||+0.45|
Earnings vs. Estimates
Analyst Research Reports
Provider: Wright Reports
Provider: Thomson Reuters Stock Report
Loblaw Companies Ltd: Business description, financial summary, 3yr and interim financials, key statistics/ratios and historical ratio analysis.
Provider: Reuters Investment Profile
Loblaw Companies Limited (L) Profile and Financials, plus Food Industry Trends Analysis, Operating Ratios and Financial Averages
Provider: Plunkett Research, Ltd.
Provider: MarketLine (a Datamonitor Company)