Provident Financial PLC (PFG.L)
* CEO says no change in underlying demand for credit (Adds CEO comments, detail, background)
* Italian banks a bright spot (Recasts, adds detail and updates prices at close)
* Oil & gas stocks weak (Recasts, adds detail and updates prices at close)
LONDON, June 21 British shares slipped less than their European peers on Wednesday as gains from Whitbread helped mitigate losses from sub-prime lender Provident Financial.
June 21 British subprime lender Provident Financial Plc said that a fall in the number of debt collection agents at its home credit division will weigh on profits for the rest of the financial year, sending its shares sharply lower
* Oil & gas sector hits 7-month low on crude weakness (ADVISORY- Follow European and UK stock markets in real time on the Reuters Live Markets blog on Eikon - see cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets)
LONDON, June 21 Weakness among financial and retail stocks sent European shares down again on Wednesday, as a profit warning sent Provident Financial sharply down.
June 21 British subprime lender Provident Financial Plc said on Tuesday it expected operational disruption from the reorganisation of its home credit division to weigh on profit for the rest of the financial year as reduced agent effectiveness bit into revenue.
* Group's refreshed guidance for medium-term potential of each of its businesses
Feb 28 British subprime lender Provident Financial PLC said rising unemployment and inflation in the wake of Britain's decision to leave the European Union is unlikely to have a significant impact in 2017 as it reported a 14 percent rise in full-year pretax profit.