RWE AG (RWEG.DE)
AMSTERDAM The days of the European conglomerate may be numbered, as activist shareholders are pressing diversified groups to spin off secondary businesses and focus on doing one thing well.
AMSTERDAM Corporate demergers range from the classic spin-off, in which existing shareholders are given shares in a business division which then trades as a separate company, to the carve-out, in which the division is sold to new investors via an initial public offering (IPO) - benefiting shareholders of the parent only indirectly.
MILAN, Nov 15 European shares edged up on Tuesday helped by a surge in crude oil prices and a rebound in utilities, while telecoms equipment maker Nokia slumped on a disappointing earnings outlook update.
MILAN, Nov 15 European shares steadied on Tuesday as a rebound in utilities and crude prices was offset by sharp falls among mining stocks, while telecoms equipment maker Nokia slumped after a disappointing earnings outlook update.
* Shares down 1.9 pct (Adds details on cost cuts, group results, analyst)
* Interest rate expectations also weigh (Adds CFO comment, pressure from interest rate expectations)
* Innogy shares down 5 pct, RWE down 3.5 pct (Recasts, adds trader comment, context)
* Maintains full-year profit forecast (Adds CEO, fund manager, analyst quotes, context)
AMSTERDAM/FRANKFURT Talks to restructure Urenco broke down after German utilities E.ON and RWE, which hold a third in the uranium enrichment firm, refused to agree to a deal that would have prevented a lucrative stock market listing in the future.
* E.ON, RWE open to further talks (Recasts, adds reaction from E.ON/RWE, context)