- Sysco Corp will buy US Foods Inc for about $3.5 billion from its private equity owners in a deal that will combine the top two U.S. food distributors and create a company commanding about a quarter of the $235 billion North American market.
- Time Warner Cable's incoming chief executive Rob Marcus said on Monday he is not in a hurry to sell the company and that management is focused on running the business for the "long haul."
DUBAI - Three state-owned Gulf firms are considering a joint bid for a minority stake in Occidental Petroleum Corp's Middle East and North Africa (MENA) unit, a deal that could be worth between $8 billion and $10 billion, three banking sources said.
- U.S. fertilizer company Mosaic Co said on Monday that it would buy back about 10 percent of its outstanding stock in a roughly $2 billion purchase from the Margaret A. Cargill Foundation and the Anne Ray Charitable Trust over the next eight months.
- Essex Property Trust Inc , a manager of residential properties on the U.S. West Coast, offered to buy BRE Properties Inc for about $4.48 billion in stock and cash.
- Post Holdings Inc said it will buy private label peanut butter maker Golden Boy Foods Ltd and protein bar maker Dymatize Enterprises LLC for about $680 million to build up its nutritional and private-label foods.
- Dairy products producer WhiteWave Foods Co said it would buy organic food brand Earthbound Farm from investors including private equity firm Kainos Capital for about $600 million to expand its offerings of organic products.
HONG KONG - China Everbright Bank Co Ltd will be the third mainland lender in three months to raise funds in Hong Kong by launching an up to $2.8 billion share sale on Tuesday.
HONG KONG - Carlyle Group LP , hedge fund firm Farallon Investors and China Cinda have agreed to buy $45 million worth of shares in Fu Shou Yuan International Group Ltd as China's largest provider of death-care services seeks up to $215 million in a Hong Kong IPO.
HONG KONG/BEIJING - Alibaba Group will invest HK$2.82 billion ($361 million) in appliance maker Haier Electronics Group Ltd in a deal aimed at expanding the Chinese e-commerce giant's logistics reach to the millions of consumers in China's vast interior.
These days Washington is not known for bipartisanship, but every now and then a breakthrough is made. It is noteworthy that Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat, and Senator John McCain, a Republican, are appearing together at a forum in Sedona, Arizona on Friday.