- The Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys booked their places in the playoffs after victories on Sunday while the New England Patriots earned a bye in the first round of the postseason.
- The defending Super Bowl champions Seattle Seahawks secured their place in this season's playoffs just before taking the field against NFC West rivals the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.
- The Dallas Cowboys made it back to the playoffs for the first time since the 2009 season when they crushed the Indianapolis Colts 42-7 on Sunday to claim the NFC East title.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida State University star quarterback Jameis Winston has been cleared in a student conduct code hearing looking into charges that he sexually assaulted a female student two years ago, according to documents released to Reuters on Sunday.
- A lightning strike in a parking lot outside a stadium in Tampa, Florida, after a National Football League game on Sunday landed about a dozen people in the hospital, an emergency response official said.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers clinched their first playoff berth in three seasons when they defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 20-12 on Sunday.
VAL D'ISERE, France - Lindsey Vonn will have to wait until the New Year for a record-equalling women’s World Cup victory after she crashed in a Super-G won by Austria’s Elisabeth Goergl on Sunday.
Sat, Dec 20 2014
- Boxing legend Muhammad Ali has been hospitalized with pneumonia and is expected to recover because the illness was caught early, a spokesman said on Saturday.
LONDON - England's failed bid to host the 2018 World Cup "was by far the strongest contender", FIFA official Harold Mayne-Nicholls was quoted as saying on Sunday.
- The Philadelphia Eagles' playoff ambitions suffered a near-fatal blow with a surprise 27-24 loss to the Washington Redskins on Saturday.
Regardless what voters decide in the November elections, there will be a major changing of the guard next year in the U.S. Congress as result of a number of key retirements.