ISTANBUL, Jan 22 Turkish businessman Tekin Acar had contracts to open branches of his leading cosmetics chain in ten new shopping malls this year. A few days ago he cancelled nine of them after sharp falls in the lira meant he would struggle to afford the rents.
LONDON, Jan 22 British fashion retailers will switch their spending firepower to technology from the high street in 2017 after online shopping became the key driver of sales growth over the all-important festive period.
* Canadian dollar at C$1.3315 or 75.10 U.S. cents * Bond prices mostly higher across the maturity curve By Solarina Ho TORONTO, Jan 20 The Canadian dollar pared earlier losses following weaker-than-expected inflation and retail sales data, to finish little changed against its U.S. counterpart on Friday. Canada's annual inflation rate rose to 1.5 percent in December from November's 1.2 percent, short of analysts' forecasts for an increase to 1.7 percent, while retail
(Adds details on dollar and Mexican peso contracts, analyst comments, table, byline) By Gertrude Chavez-Dreyfuss NEW YORK, Jan 20 Speculators reduced long bets on the U.S. dollar for a second straight week, as investors continued to pare back overextended positions on the greenback and worried about U.S. President Donald Trump's trade and currency policies. The value of the dollar's net long position was $24.44 billion in the week ended Jan. 17, from $24.95 billion the
* Stocks recover some ground after paring gains on Trump speech
* Mexican peso has biggest rise since November (Recasts; updates to afternoon U.S. trading, adds quote)
NEW YORK, Jan 20 Speculators reduced long bets on the U.S. dollar for a second straight week, as investors continued to pare back overextended positions on the greenback and worried about U.S. President Donald Trump's trade and currency policies.
* Weak U.S. dollar supports gold price * Palladium soars 5.2 pct to highest since May 2015 (Recasts; updates prices; adds comment, byline, NEW YORK dateline) By Marcy Nicholson and Eric Onstad NEW YORK/LONDON, Jan 20 Gold prices turned up on Friday, as the dollar fell and U.S. Treasury yields came off their highs after Donald Trump was sworn in as U.S. president. Trump pledged to end the "American carnage" of social and economic woes in an inaugural address that was
* Trump's speech does not highlight policy specifics (Adds new quotes, data, Trump inauguration info)
* Trump says to put "America First" (Updates with afternoon prices, adds commentary)
WASHINGTON The White House said on Sunday that it is in the early stages of talks to fulfill President Donald Trump's pledge to move the U.S. embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.