- A laboratory technician for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been placed under observation for possible exposure to the deadly Ebola virus due to an apparent mix-up in lab specimens, the Atlanta-based agency said on Wednesday.
FREETOWN - Sierra Leoneans observed a somber Christmas in their homes on Thursday, after the government banned traditionally boisterous holiday celebrations to prevent the spread of deadly Ebola in the worst-hit country.
GENEVA - The global death toll from Ebola has risen to 7,588 out of 19,497 confirmed cases recorded in the year-old epidemic raging in West Africa, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
- Animal research practices at a National Institutes of Health (NIH) facility in Poolesville, Maryland are being challenged by four members of Congress, who have asked the NIH director to commission a bioethical review of experiments being conducted on monkeys at the lab.
CAIRO - A five-year-old Egyptian child died from bird flu on Wednesday, the tenth death from the virus in the country out of 22 identified cases this year, the Health Ministry said.
- The Web is a popular source of health information, but online educational material about mammograms may be too complicated for many Americans, according to a new study.
- Generic drug maker Actavis Plc said the U.S. health regulator denied an approval for its hypertension treatment, a fixed-dose combination of nebivolol and valsartan.
ACCRA - Medical detective work will be the next big phase in the fight against Ebola when the United Nations deploys hundreds of health workers to identify chains of infection as the virus passes from person to person, top U.N. health workers said.
- U.S. health regulators will recommend that gay men be allowed to donate blood one year after their last sexual contact, easing a ban that has been in place since 1983.
- Rachel Rieger figured getting diagnosed with celiac disease and having to rid gluten from her diet meant she could no longer partake of the wheat-based communion bread that represents a key facet of her Catholic faith.