SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo Inc plans to spin off its 15 percent stake in China's Alibaba Group Holding Ltd , responding to pressure to hand over to shareholders its prized e-commerce investment valued at roughly $40 billion.
Recent Technology News
BOSTON - Red Hat Inc and other makers of the widely used Linux operating system for business computers updated their software on Tuesday to thwart a serious new cyber threat they warned could allow hackers to gain remote control of their systems.
FRANKFURT - Access to Facebook , the world's largest social network, and its Instagram photo-sharing site, were blocked around the world for up to an hour on Tuesday, which the company said later was due to an internal fault and not an outside attack.
- Sony Corp plans to cut another 1,000 jobs in its smartphone division, mainly in Europe and China, the Nikkei business daily reported.
SAN FRANCISCO - Snapchat has partnered with CNN, ESPN and nine other media companies to feature videos and articles on its mobile messaging service, a move that heightens the competition with social networks such as Facebook Inc and Twitter Inc.
LOS ANGELES - Responding to the Los Angeles police chief, who complained that its popular traffic app could be misused by criminals to track officers, a spokeswoman for Waze said on Tuesday that the company worked with law officers to make them safer.
- Wall Street falls 1 percent on earnings; Apple rallies late
- Amgen profit tops expectations on Enbrel sales, tax credit
- U.S. business spending weakens, but consumers upbeat
- Oil jumps on weaker dollar; traders wary of stock build
- JPMorgan profited from soaring Swiss franc: Bloomberg
- U.S. proposes allowing oil, gas drilling off Atlantic Coast
- BNY Mellon may face bribery charges over sovereign wealth funds: filing