SHANGHAI - China's government banned financial institutions from trading in bitcoin on Thursday, in what analysts said was a restrained first step towards regulating the digital currency that has exploded in popularity in China and soared in value in recent months.
Recent Technology News
FRANKFURT/LONDON - Merck, the world's largest maker of liquid crystals used in TVs, tablet and smartphone screens, has agreed to buy Britain's AZ Electronic Materials for $2.6 billion to expand its range of specialist chemicals for hi-tech gadgets.
WASHINGTON - The troubled mobile phone maker BlackBerry still has at least one very loyal customer: U.S. President Barack Obama.
SAN FRANCISCO - The agency that oversees development in the San Francisco Bay in California has begun a formal investigation into the construction of a secretive Google Inc barge on an island in the bay.
SAN FRANCISCO - Billionaire investor Carl Icahn said on Wednesday that he has filed a shareholder proposal with Apple for a much smaller stock buyback plan than he has advocated previously, as he continued to pressure Apple to share more of its cash pile.
BOSTON - Security experts have uncovered a trove of some 2 million stolen passwords to websites including Facebook, Google, Twitter and Yahoo from Internet users across the globe.
- Stock futures turn lower after strong data
- Third-quarter growth revised up to 3.6 percent
- U.S. jobless claims fall for third straight week
- Japan approves $182 billion economic package, doubts remain
- Bargain-hunting dents retailers' November sales
- UK's Osborne says vindicated by growth rebound, vows to stay on course |
- GM to drop Chevy brand in Europe to focus on Opel
- Unilever aims to reduce product assortment by 30 percent: CFO
- Ford launches new global Mustang to buoy brand, boost margins