PARIS - French media group Vivendi said on Friday it would book a 4.2 billion euro ($4.6 billion) pre-tax gain from the sale of Brazilian telecommunications company GVT, which would help it pay interim dividends.
Recent Technology News
NEW YORK - The accused mastermind behind the underground website Silk Road will be sentenced on Friday for orchestrating a scheme that enabled more than $200 million of anonymous online drug sales using the digital currency bitcoin.
- Avago Technologies Ltd agreed on Thursday to buy Broadcom Corp for $37 billion in the largest merger of chipmakers ever, turning a lesser known company run by a ferocious dealmaker into one of the biggest industry players. | Video
HANGZHOU, China/BEIJING - Huarong Asset Management Co Ltd is poised to become the second Chinese bad loan firm to auction soured loans online amid a push by the government to settle these debts as the economy slows, an executive at e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd said.
TOKYO - Toshiba Corp will file its annual report up to two months later than usual as an ongoing independent investigation into accounting irregularities will likely last until mid-July, the Japanese conglomerate said on Friday.
BEIJING - Chinese construction machinery maker Sany Group, which has been impacted by a sustained market slowdown, said it is venturing into smartphones, as part of a plan to diversify away from heavy machinery.
- U.S. economy contracts in first quarter; dollar hits corporate profits
- Wall Street lower after GDP data shows contraction
- U.S. dealmaking at record year-to-date high
- Oil up more than 1 percent after U.S. inventory drop
- U.S. funds raise equity allocation, cut euro zone assets: Reuters poll
- Unrepentant Lehman ex-CEO Fuld says firm 'was not bankrupt'
- High spirits battle: Asia tycoons vie for cognac maker Louis Royer
- Deutsche's Jain wins support of bank's top labor leader