NEW YORK - Millions of Americans readied on Saturday for Independence Day parades and firework shows amid worries over possible security threats, a spike in shark attacks on East Coast beaches and the danger of wildfires in the West.
PORTLAND, Ore. - More than a thousand marijuana enthusiasts and entrepreneurs met in Oregon on Friday to swap samples, contacts and business tips in hopes of profiting from the state's new law allowing the recreational use of pot.
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Friday ordered heightened security measures across the state over the U.S. July Fourth holiday weekend in response to a call for vigilance by the federal government. | Video
- In a letter postmarked before his June 6 escape from a New York state prison, convicted murderer Richard Matt told his daughter "See you on the outside," the Buffalo News reported.
- A fire that destroyed a Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal church in Greeleyville, South Carolina, on Tuesday was from natural causes and not linked to a spate of fires at similar churches across the South, state police said.
NEW YORK - A random fatal shooting in San Francisco, allegedly by an immigrant, proves the United States must tighten its borders, according to a statement on Friday by U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump, who is facing heavy criticism for his comments about Mexicans.
- Boyd Packer, head of the Mormon Church's highest governing body, died at his home in Salt Lake City on Friday, the church said on its website.
- A medical transport helicopter crashed during a take-off on Friday in Colorado, killing the pilot and seriously injuring two others on board, authorities said.
- JetBlue Airways Corp said it began direct charter flights between New York and Havana on Friday, the first major U.S. carrier to fly the route following U.S. President Barack Obama's decision in December to normalize relations with the Communist-ruled island.
- About 5,000 residents evacuated after the derailment of a freight train carrying flammable and toxic gas in eastern Tennessee were allowed home on Friday as investigators looked into the cause of the fiery accident. | Video