WASHINGTON - A U.S. congressional committee said on Sunday that it will hear from half a dozen witnesses this week about dangerous lapses at federal health facilities, including one that led to the potential exposure of 84 people to live anthrax.
- Five people were injured in Philadelphia on Sunday when a car collided with a transit bus and flipped it on its side, according to transit officials and media reports.
LONDON - The U.S. Defense Department hopes to fund a much more reliable kill vehicle, or warhead, for the homeland missile defense system run by Boeing Co , but final decisions will depend largely on cost, the Pentagon's top arms buyer said on Sunday.
NEWARK New Jersey - An Air India flight with 313 passengers onboard was forced to return to Newark Liberty International Airport on Sunday after a bird strike caused an engine on the Boeing 777 to catch fire, according to airport officials.
- A corpse on a gurney slid out of the back of a coroner's vehicle and onto a busy street in an eastern Pennsylvania town, a local newspaper reported on Sunday.
LONDON - The engine failure that has grounded the entire fleet of Lockheed Martin Corp F-35 fighter jets was caused by "excessive" rubbing of fan blades in the plane's Pratt & Whitney engine, but does not appear to be a fundamental design flaw, the Pentagon's chief weapons buyer said on Sunday.
- One person was killed and 19 were injured when a man driving what was likely a stolen Ford Mustang went the wrong way on an Indiana highway and slammed into a Greyhound bus on Sunday, the Wayne County sheriff's office said.
- Former U.S. Representative Ken Gray of Illinois, once known as the "Prince of Pork" for his ability to win federal support for his district, has died at age 89.
- The son of an 80-year-old woman who was stabbed to death at a northwest Indiana hospital last week has been charged with her murder, news media reported on Sunday.
NEW YORK - A 37-year-old man accused of starting a raging wildfire in Northern California while tending to his marijuana farm was arrested and in custody, fire officials said on Sunday.