MIAMI - The science of predicting hurricanes has come a long way since Katrina caught New Orleans officials off guard 10 years ago.
- A 30-year-old Houston man with an extensive criminal history is expected to appear in court on Monday charged with capital murder of a police officer, an incident the local sheriff tied to the "Black Lives Matter" campaign against police violence.
- A powerful windstorm toppled trees, killing two people in Washington state as work crews scrambled on Sunday to restore power to 450,000 customers, a TV report showed. | Video
- Ignacio lessened in intensity but was still a major Category 3 hurricane as it blew across the Pacific on a route likely to bypass Hawaii on Monday, the U.S. Central Pacific Hurricane Center said.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Monday will officially restore Denali as the name of North America's tallest mountain, ending a 40-year battle over what to call the peak that has been known as Mount McKinley.
- A 60-year-old man plunged headfirst to his death from the upper deck of a baseball stadium in Atlanta on Saturday, brushing past wires holding a protective net, according to police and witnesses. | Video
- The statue of Confederate president Jefferson Davis was moved from its prominent place on the University of Texas campus in Austin on Sunday, according to footage published on social media and by local Austin American-Statesman newspaper.
- The killing of a U.S. police officer on Friday in a Houston suburb was unprovoked, a county sheriff said, saying the victim was a target because of his uniform. | Video
NEW ORLEANS - From the Lower Ninth Ward to the Superdome, New Orleans observed the 10th anniversary of devastating Hurricane Katrina, paying tribute to its victims and homage to the city's resilience in the face of disaster. | Video
- Sheriff's deputies on Saturday arrested a 30-year-old man who will be charged with capital murder in connection with the shooting death of a deputy at a suburban Houston gas station, a killing the sheriff tied to anger against police. | Video