NEW YORK - Roger Federer achieved tennis greatness with an intoxicating blend of athleticism, artistry and unflinching nerve. Yet for all his fluid genius, the measure of a career often boils down to cold numbers.
TORONTO - Canada has long been a global ice hockey super power, toasted a Formula One driver's champion and at different times has laid claim to the world's fastest man.
NEW YORK - Top-seeded Novak Djokovic was handed a danger filled path to the final of the U.S. Open and a possible showdown with number two Roger Federer after Thursday's draw for the season's final grand slam.
- Roger Federer is the form player going into next week's U.S. Open but Novak Djokovic is favorite to win the title for a second time, according to former champion John McEnroe.
- Reigning Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic has been seeded number one for the U.S. Open with five times winner Roger Federer seeded second, the United States Tennis Association announced on Tuesday.
- Roger Federer's hopes of adding to his record grand slam haul got a boost as he beat Spain's David Ferrer 6-3 1-6 6-2 to win the Western and Southern Open title in Cincinnati on Sunday in the last key U.S. Open tune-up event.
- Five times Cincinnati winner Roger Federer blunted Andy Murray's attempt at a comeback, while women's world number one Serena Williams roared to victory as they moved into the semi-finals at the Western & Southern Open on Friday.
SINGAPORE - Men's tennis will see a flurry of women coaches after Andy Murray broke down a gender barrier by hiring Amelie Mauresmo, says 18-times grand slam singles champion Martina Navratilova who is open to tutoring men.
- Spain's Tommy Robredo shocked world number one Novak Djokovic 7-6(6) 7-5 on Thursday to move into the quarter-finals of the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati.