WASHINGTON - Republicans in Congress were plunged into turmoil on Thursday when California Representative Kevin McCarthy, the favorite to succeed retiring House Speaker John Boehner, dropped out of the race in a surprise that adds to concerns about the party's ability to govern effectively. | Video
- Clinton proposal calls for breakup of 'too-big-to-fail' banks
- Exclusive: Congress probing U.S. spy agencies' possible lapses on Russia |
- White House says hopeful Congress will take responsible action on U.S. debt limit
- Clinton envisions 'risk fee' on big financial institutions
- Hackers in China, South Korea, Germany targeted Clinton's server: AP
Recent Politics News
WASHINGTON - Hardline conservatives in the U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday made a play for more power in deeply divided Republican ranks as the party prepared to vote on its nominee for the next speaker of the House.
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate overwhelmingly approved legislation on Wednesday that would allow the military to avoid mandatory spending cuts, setting up a likely veto from President Barack Obama, who is pushing for a broader budget deal.
WASHINGTON - A small but influential bloc of conservative Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives threw its support behind a longshot candidate for House Speaker on Wednesday, complicating the party's efforts to elect John Boehner's successor.
WASHINGTON - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday she does not support the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), rejecting a central tenet of President Barack Obama's strategic pivot to Asia. | Video