WASHINGTON - Republican Rep. Paul Ryan, the author of a controversial plan to overhaul government health programs, would make a good presidential candidate, the No. 2 Republican in the House of Representatives said on Monday.
Recent 2010 Election News
WASHINGTON - Republican lawmakers vowed to vigorously oversee the new financial reform law but stopped short of promising major changes to the legislation they have described as "job killing."
WASHINGTON - The incoming Republican chairman of the powerful tax-writing committee in the House of Representatives said on Wednesday extending Bush-era tax cuts for all income groups could slip into next year if Democrats don't compromise with Republicans.
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Wednesday suggested working with Republicans on a provision of the new healthcare law that requires businesses to file tax forms on transactions worth more than $600.
LOS ANGELES - Tuesday's election results sent a mixed message on alternative energy, with Republican victories in Congress likely to curb national alternative-energy policy while California results look set to help the sector.
WASHINGTON - Republican victories in congressional elections have boosted the chances for approval of three long-delayed free trade agreements, and could mark the start of a cooperative effort between the White House and Congress to open new markets for U.S. exports.
Regardless what voters decide in the November elections, there will be a major changing of the guard next year in the U.S. Congress as result of a number of key retirements.
Issues and Analyses
- Republican win to deal only tweaks to healthcare
- Republican wins to halt Obama's clean energy plans
- Congress likely to be divided, gridlocked
- Republican resurgence a warning for Obama for 2012
- Could Congress reduce the budget deficit next year?
- Republican election wins may tilt tax policy
- What U.S. vote means for G20 summit
- Tea Party makes big entry into Congress
- Analysts views on election results
- Can healthcare overhaul be repealed?
Factboxes and Background
- Results of key races in midterm elections
- Likely lineup of new House Republican chairs
- GOP set to win control of House Banking panel
- What they're saying about midterm elections
- Congress in "lame-duck" session after election
- Key players in the Tea Party movement
- Obama's daunting post-election agenda
- Promises, promises: How Obama has fared