U.N. CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE
ATLANTA - A Georgia aquarium went to court on Wednesday seeking federal permission to bring 18 captured beluga whales to the United States from Russia.
LONDON - Far from wiping out Neanderthals overnight, modern humans rubbed along with their shorter and stockier cousins for thousands of years, giving plenty of time for the two groups to share ideas - and have sex.
(Corrects headline and first paragraph to show company raised profit margin forecast, not profit forecast)
TALLAHASSEE Fla. - Five climate scientists warned Florida Governor Rick Scott in a meeting on Tuesday that a steadily rising ocean was a major threat to the state's future, urging it to become a leader in developing solar energy and other clean power sources.
SHIZUOKA/OSAKA Japan - Japanese technology firms are applying their expertise in energy-saving and cloud technology to help farmers cope with shifting weather patterns, an onslaught of cheaper imports and a shrinking workforce.
Reuters Climate Panel
HIROSHIMA - At least 36 people, including several children, were killed in Japan on Wednesday, when landslides triggered by torrential rain slammed into the outskirts of the western city of Hiroshima, and the toll could rise further, police said. | Video
Despite severe air pollution, local and provincial officials in the Chinese city of Nanchang are trying to clean it up and make it more attractive for foreign investment, making the city an important test case for efforts to ease the environmental damage from unchecked economic growth.
- U.S. military failed in rescue attempt for journalist Foley
- Gaza war rages on, Hamas says Israel tried to kill its military chief |
- Dozens die in Ukraine in street battles, Donetsk shelling
- Brazil's Silva launches bid, threatens Rousseff re-election
- Fed debates merits of earlier rate hike given U.S. jobs gains
- Hewlett-Packard posts surprise revenue gain after PC sales jump
- U.S. attorney general visits Missouri town for meetings on fatal shooting
- BofA in $16.5 billion deal with U.S. over mortgage bonds: source
- Exclusive: Funds could face market curbs after lobbying backfires
- Argentina bonds, peso reel on country's debt swap plan